KVK1 Loss of Plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KVK1 Loss of Plating

Hi, Can someone please post a picture of any KVK1 that has lost all of it's plating due to it being a zinc unit. I have just received a KVK1 with swords from a reputable dealer here in NZ & the cross is a very dull grey colour.It looks to me as if all of the plating has disappeared except on the pin itself.
    Is the cross just tarnished and will clean up or has the finish gone once and for all?
    Can't post a picture, thought you experts might be able to help!

Thanks, Tony.

I have no photo, but late in the war, zink was used on these crosses.

Cheers.
    Peter wiking

Comment

Hi Tony, I think you will find that the zinc has absorbed the finish that was once applied, this is very common on all zinc based awards. Nothing can be done to bring this back.

Do a search on this forum and you should find some pics that you are looking for as this kind of thing, cross no finish but with bright pin, has been featured before.

Enjoy your Cross.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

There is one thread here:
        dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50791

Cheers.
        Peter Wiking

Comment

Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate your expert guidance. Nice to finally have a KVK1, although I really wanted a nice shiny one. The dealer has offered to take it back if I have any concerns anyway, so I'm not losing out.
          What are your opinions, does this loss of finish detract from it's long term value? Am I better off paying more for one in better condition (this cost me $225 NZ, about Euro 110) ?

Comment

Keep the "zinker". They are a vital part of how they made these crosses, and will look good in the collection.
            You will soon find a early silver plated KVK, i´m sure.

Cheers.
            Peter Wiking

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X