ebay iron cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebay iron cross

Hi everybody Spot the deliberate mistake on this one ebay item 2239645618.regards Joey.

The horizontal needle ?

Cheers.
    Peter Wiking

Comment

July?

I'm thinking July spelled with a "y" instead of the typical German "i". Or maybe it was engraved by whoever obtained it!

Hank
      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

better pic

i e mailed him for better pic does the cross look ok i wasnt sure but engraving looks a bit suspect. it comes up as invalid item so it must have been pulled
        Attached Files
        Last edited by gaz; 04-21-2004, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Iron Cross

Hi Gaz The cross looks ok but the engraving has got to be wrong because the germans spell JULY as JULI unless this was awarded to a member of the british free corps that wasnt around untill the end of 44 .Regards Joey.
          Originally posted by gaz
          i e mailed him for better pic does the cross look ok i wasnt sure but engraving looks a bit suspect. it comes up as invalid item so it must have been pulled

Comment

This EK certainly wasn't engraved by a German. Not only is the "y" in July incorrect, the day should come before the month.

Brian

Comment

... and there's no "th" in German. Correct spelling is 15. Juli.

Dietrich
              B&D PUBLISHING
              Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

i think we are looking at this from the wrong point of view just my theory but
                the name LACEY not the most obvious german surname
                the town AUGUSTA a town on the east coast of sicily
                the date JULY 15th 1943 a few days after the allied invasion of sicily
                could it be that this engraving was not meant to decieve im sure that they would have maybe picked a more germanic surname and at least got the date somthing like as the engraving work is not that of an amateur. i think it could be an allied soldiers souvenir that he had engraved as a momento or that his colleages gave it to him as a gift. i know that anybody can engrave anything at anytime and i guess that it couldnt be proven but thats my theory. in fact i convinced myself that much and as the cross seemed to be right enough a S&L marked 4 on the pin i e mailed the guy and bought it for the sum of £50 it is worth that just to go into my collection as a curiousity.
                Last edited by gaz; 04-24-2004, 01:18 PM.

Comment

pic of obverse
                  Attached Files

Comment

Iron Cross

Hi Gaz I had the same thoughts about the cross being right but did not think about what you are saying,you could be right.Good buy for £50.Regards Joey. PS wish Id kept my big mouth shut
                    Originally posted by gaz
                    i think we are looking at this from the wrong point of view just my theory but
                    the name LACEY not the most obvious german surname
                    the town AUGUSTA a town on the east coast of sicily
                    the date JULY 17th 1943 about a week after the allied invasion of sicily
                    could it be that this engraving was not meant to decieve im sure that they would have maybe picked a more germanic surname and at least got the date somthing like as the engraving work is not that of an amateur. i think it could be an allied soldiers souvenir that he had engraved as a momento or that his colleages gave it to him as a gift. i know that anybody can engrave anything at anytime and i guess that it couldnt be proven but thats my theory. in fact i convinced myself that much and as the cross seemed to be right enough a paul meybuer marked 7 on the pin i e mailed the guy and bought it for the sum of £50 it is worth that just to go into my collection as a curiousity.

Comment

thanks joey

its ok i did have my eye on the cross before you mentioned it in this thread so dont feel to bad about it

regards gaz

Comment

Iron cross

Hi Gaz I wont,nice cross for your collection.Regards Joey
                        Originally posted by gaz
                        thanks joey

its ok i did have my eye on the cross before you mentioned it in this thread so dont feel to bad about it

regards gaz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X