Grand Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Cross

I've attached photos of the Grand Cross from the 1960s collection. The core is magnetic. There appears to be a stamp on the wire ribbon loop: L/13. There is also a very small number stamped on the bottom front arm, maybe '850' ? I've placed it next to one of the KC from the collection for size comparison. I assume its an early post-war or wartime makers display piece? Any information regarding the cross would be appreciated-thanks.
    Attached Files

few more pictures...
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a Souval to me, nice filler!!

Comment

I don't think this is a Souval. The ring dips into the frame too much, the dates are different as well. Difficult to tell with the reflections, but I think the frame is different from the Souval.
        The marks are spurious. To me it looks like one of the many post war copies.

Comment

Hi

This is not a Souval cross but a postwar cross indeed
          RS always have a lower swastika compare to the silver rim

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ben bijker View Post
            Looks like a Souval to me, nice filler!!
            I agree, it seems to be a Souval.
            Best regards,
            Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

@ Wolfgang and Andy: I think you are mixing it up with a Souval KC.

Comment

Ben, looking at the Souval GC's, the ring seems to sit higher and is better defined than it is in this example.
                As well, I think the core is different. This is especially evident in the bottom of the "3" in the 1939 date. The little hook in the Souval crosses extends higher than it does on this cross? It may be just the angle of the photo, but to me it really does not look like the Souval.

Comment

Here are a couple previously shown as Souval. Although I at first thought this cross was a Souval, I have changed my mind. The dates appear to match the Juncker design, but neither the markings nor the height of the beading match a Juncker. Who made it? I don't know.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Leroy; 02-09-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

A closeup photo was requested of the ribbon suspension loop.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Seeing this last photo, I think this is a probable wartime-made display (but not made by Juncker) copy.

The PKZ was very distressed because this award was announced in September, 1939, but Goering didn't receive his until the following Summer. In the meantime, every Tom, Dick & Harry had copies in their shop windows (and you could buy them openly). There were even articles in Uniformmarkt and other publications about the practice. Assuming that the "L" marking is real, this is a piece made exclusively for display sometime after March, 1941.

Comment

If the Meybauer stamp is authentic, there should be more of these crosses around. I wonder if anyone has seen another? That would make the cross much more interesting.
                        I agree, it is not a Juncker, does not compare to the details.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X