Date closeup #1
          Attached Files
          Jerry

Comment

Date closeup #2
            Attached Files
            Jerry

Comment

I can post closeups of the swazes, but I think everyone will get the point.
              Jerry

Comment

Here is my unmarked piece:

Comment

Reverse:

Comment

Back to the top to hear Georges opinion.

Comment

Sorry -- I got distracted!

I think you'd be safe in calling that a Souval.
                      George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
                        I think you'd be safe in calling that a Souval.
                        that means a real one?

Comment

If you have the piece in hand, compare it to the examples in this thread: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=48365
                          If you think it matches, then you would be safe in calling it a "real" wartime Souval.
                          George

Comment

Thank you very much George!

Comment

Some Souval EK1' also had centers that differed also. I seem to
                              recall a thread by Gordon W. some time back about this subject.
                              I have an unmarked Souval Ek1 with a brass center that differs
                              from that of my Souval L58 screwback. The difference can be
                              plainly seen, especially in the date. Rudy must have had a bunch
                              of different dies, he used.

Ken
                              Attached Files

Comment

First off I would like to thank everyone VERY much for contributing excellent pics of their Souval crosses.
                                Based on the pics of the maker marked Souval crosses, I can see a definate construction style of beading and core characteristics which seem typical of this manufacturer. Dates are level, no dipping numbers and the reverse has a very slight slant on the numerals.
                                The next pattern seems to feature a different core with very slanted numerals to the reverse date. Possibly the Souval frames were supplied to a smaller company who purchased them, and purchased the cores from a different source, and merely assembled the components for re-sale. This would explain why no EK's with Souval type frames and the slanted 1813 date to the reverse of the core have the Souval maker mark.
                                Interesting to note that some crosses with the Souval type frames have the dipping date which doesn't tie in with any other known pre-'45 cross yet ties in with the known post war crosses by Souval.
                                Thanks for your help guys, I now have a fair idea as to what to look for in an original Souval EK.

Regards,
                                Brett

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X