No announcement yet.

EK1 Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the picture from Gordon's book, it looks like the same kind of construction with the same kind of eagle, only the cross is different,
    so I was wondering if it's possible that the jeweler back than cast his own eagles and solder them to a different crosses?
    Attached Files

Comment

...eagles
      Attached Files

Comment

Just Imo that L/57 is a fake stamp, then wy do that if it´s a real item.
        Mikael

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Heukemes
          I find it interesting that the frame and beading does indeed match L/57 marked 1939 Boerger EK1s to a T. This makes it interesting enough for me to investigate further, one I would not yet write off.
          I thought that the cross is OK,
          ...does any one have pictures of L/57 stamps?

Comment

Originally posted by Alikn
            I thought that the cross is OK,
            ...does any one have pictures of L/57 stamps?
            He is mine
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

imo is this cross not a genuine L/57 1914 cross.
              Please have look at the attached pics and you will cognize some diffrences like date, crown etc.

Best Franki
              Attached Files

Comment

reverse L/57 1914
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello

There is also a picture of one of these EK1 / Bar combos on page 183 of Vern Bowens book, 'The Prussian and German Iron Cross', which looks pretty much the same as the one under discussion here. In common with the one from Gordon Williamsons book, there are no attaching prongs or devices on the rear of the bar. The one in Bowens book carries no maker marks but the eagle on the bar and the rear pin, hinge and clasp set up look more or less the same as the one here.

That said, caution is needed as these combos have been widely faked, even using genuine EK1s with a fake bar soldered on to greatly increase the value etc. This one seems to have quite a bit going for it. My only concern would be the position of the makers mark above the clasp as all the Borger & Co items I have seen previously, and shown by those posted here, have carried the L/57 below the clasp. I assume this is what Mikael meant in his post about L/57 not being a real stamp. It could just be someone stamped the cross in the wrong place - it has been seen before on other known original items, so why not this one.

So caution is needed with these items and one of the best ways the purchaser can decide about this item will be to actualy hold and examine it, but in my opinion, from what I can see here, this one looks ok to me.

Regards
                  David

Comment

That is the only pictures I have, but I think the maker marks looks the same.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X