Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dietrich
    Chris,

I see the same featurtes as with the other L/50.
    Dietrich
    ..isnt this a picture of the one on page 378 ?
    its the one on page 379 that particularly interests me, Dietrich....the reverse is the same as Craigs, and it would be interstinig to see if the obverse is too
    Last edited by Chris Jenkins; 04-04-2004, 02:37 AM.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

If this can help the thread, this is my L/50.
      Attached Files
      Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Back.
        Last edited by Michel; 04-05-2004, 01:34 AM.
        Ohne Seemacht, keine Weltmacht !

Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=522068

Always interested by Kriegsmarine headgear, uniform and U-Boot related items.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Jenkins
          ..isnt this a picture of the one on page 378 ?
          its the one on page 379 that particularly interests me, Dietrich....the reverse is the same as Craigs, and it would be interstinig to see if the obverse is too
          Chris,

I'm confused now. The one I posted last is from page 348 from "Iron Time", the L/50 with swords of Hajo Hermann. There are no oaks on page 378 in the "Iron Time" so I guess you mean page 378 of "The Iron Cross of 1939". Now let me have a look at the oaks on page 379 of "The Iron Cross of 1939", the ones awarded to Klaus Scholtz, which is a Type II Godet.

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING
          Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Michel,

thanks for posting your L/50 oaks!
            It shows the same characteristics like all the other 'good' L/50 and there now is not even the slightest doubt in my mind that one can clearly indentify 'good' oaks by those features! Same die, same features (as always!).

Dietrich
            B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

De-mystification complete.

Laying on of hands no longer necessary.

Collectors one step closer to complete self-determination.

With this grid process we can more easily identify common characteristics on complicated badges such as oaks and for example Spanish Cross, 1914 Wiederholungsspange, Honor Roll Clasps, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
                Chris,

I'm confused now. The one I posted last is from page 348 from "Iron Time", the L/50 with swords of Hajo Hermann. There are no oaks on page 378 in the "Iron Time" so I guess you mean page 378 of "The Iron Cross of 1939". Now let me have a look at the oaks on page 379 of "The Iron Cross of 1939", the ones awarded to Klaus Scholtz, which is a Type II Godet.

Dietrich
                Sory sorry sorry, Dietrich.....I meant page 349 of the Iron Time.

Page 348 shows the Herman swords, and page 349 shows another "wartime" set. The reverse lof this later one (349) is like Craigs...

Chris

Comment

Chris,

I'm with you again.
                  Comparison shows the same features as all the other ones, including your set.

Dietrich
                  Attached Files
                  B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Dietrich, ready for another Oaks thread?
                    Last edited by Brian S; 04-05-2004, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Actually no!

I would still like to hear what a posssible explanation for the oaks in question could be.... if there's any! Waiting ...

Dietrich
                      B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

possible explanation?

How about that they weren't made from the same die as known originals? (I'll leave the interpretation of that explanation up to the individual. )
                        George

Comment

And it only showed up now?

George....I know you have a motive for an open ended post like that

Dave
                          Regards,
                          Dave

Comment

No motive, really. I was just waiting until enough evidence (for me) was in. I think it's in now. (And to tell you the truth, I wasn't following every nuance of this thread, second by second, word by word. As I said earlier, Oaks aren't one of my fields of specialty.)
                            I'm really pleased with all of the contributors to this thread. They did an excellent job of researching and detective work. They performed a real service to the hobby here. And they did it with professionalism, courtesy, and class.
                            George

Comment

As someone who does NOT collect medals, I completely agree with the sentiments experssed by George Stimson. A professional and rewarding exchange.

Mike

Comment

Its been great fun.. and thanks to all !

Its about time that the Oaks have had an airing, and we have certainly given them that !

The question of this particular set (Craigs) have become somewhat incidental to the underlining issues...

To close the contribution from my side (which has been somewhat contrary I have to admit, to keep the debate lively) I'd like to pose the question yet again...how can we have different concave features to type 1 and type 2 pieces... for example 900/21 pieces can be almost flat, or the same as the L/50's ? This is not heresay, as I have owned two sets of 900/21 Oaks with sound provenance... one about flat on the reverse with the elongated "9" of 900 that was the later feature, and the other identical (in my eyes) to my L/50....it can only be more than two sets of dies cant it ?...what other explanation can there be (You got there didnt you George)

There remains a lot to learn about these pieces, and hopefully in the future we will get closer to the facts.

Big thanks to Brian, and to Dietrich for their time and effort.

Cheers tio all from Asia...time to close down for the night

What are we going forr next ?

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 65 users online. 0 members and 65 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X