RK Oaks Strike or Restrike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian,

To me the lower-most leaf "finger" on the left side of your Oaks looks different from the same "finger" on Craig's.

And as for the pebbling, I would expect it to be identical on two pieces struck from the same dies.
    George

Comment

Well let's get a closeup of the L/50 piece also.

Rich, please. Obverse and Reverse. One more for pebble comparison.

Comment

Photos

Give me 5 minutes to download it from the camera

Comment

fingers

Here's what I'm talking about -- the lowest ones.
          Attached Files
          George

Comment

Oaks Photos

Frontside of L/50 Oaks used above as comparsion
            Last edited by magprint; 03-30-2004, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Oaks Photos

Backside of L/50 Oaks used above as comparsion
              Last edited by magprint; 03-30-2004, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Oaks Photos

Front of L/50 Oaks sold on e-stand

Comment

Oaks Photos

Rear of L/50 Oaks sold on e-stand

Comment

900/21 Back

And finally the backside of the 900/21 Piece
                    Last edited by magprint; 03-30-2004, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by magprint
                      Front of L/50 Oaks sold on e-stand
                      Exact pebble format as the Paepcke oaks. Not difficult to make the comparison. Thank you Rich.

Comment

Ref the placing of the makers marks on the reverse, the marks would be put on before the loop was added (extremely difficult to do otherwise).... therefore, the closeness to the loop is not significant (IMO).

Having made allowances for different surface conditions (one with frosting mainly intact, other without) and very slight variations in camera angle, and the fact that these pieces were hand buffed and finished, the two Oaks look the same to me.

Readers might remember that in the thread I started previous to the current one from Brian, I queried 900/21 marks on type 1 Oaks & visa versa...this is the first that I have ever seen like this...which must be a very rare bird indeed.

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Chris, I'm trying and trying and I can't match the obverse to either the e-stand piece which matches the Paepcke piece clearly and easily. It has nothing to do with the 21/900 mark or placement of the mark. I cannot match the pebbling of Craig's piece. Maybe it's my muppet brain or maybe it's just a fact they don't match. If you can get a clear concise view of just one leaf and match pebble to pebble for me, I'd be satisfied. I can do it so easily with the e-stand piece...

I'm afraid my reputation on this as a guy able to make a comparison is at stake, but I think this piece is either a Type I/II Interim Prototype or an excellent reproduction. And for the record, I don't believe in Interim Prototypes.

This Muppet Master says .
                          Last edited by Brian S; 03-26-2004, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I don't call this a repro lightly. I understand the stakes here.

But look how EASY it is to distinguish the e-stand piece to the Paepcke piece.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S
                              I don't call this a repro lightly. I understand the stakes here.

But look how EASY it is to distinguish the e-stand piece to the Paepcke piece.
                              Yes, I'd agree with the e-stand piece and yours, but they are much easier to compare...however, Craig's has a different texture of finish, which must be taken into account. For me, from what I can see they look OK, and have features that I'd look for in an original...but (and this is not a "cop out"), I'd have to have them in my own hands to really be 100% sure one way or the other.

Frustrating isnt it!

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

If I can be so bold as to claim objectivity here, I see far more similarities than differences between "Craig's" example and Mag's. I would LOVE to hear what Mag's opinion is, however I understand his hesitance to say anything yet - another "heavy" who has them in-hand and who says something would certainly either close the case for good (in favor of their legitimacy) or pit one very knowlegable person (him) against another (Steve Wolfe) and leave us all scratching our heads. However, since both you and Steve have seen them, I would love to hear your opinion, as would everyone. But again, to summarize my view, based solely on the photos, I see too many similarities and not enough differences to conclude that they are not original. Of course, I wish I had the pleasure of comparing Mag's in-person next to "mine." Also, Brian - just so you know, I don't monitor these threads to the degree one might expect or hope me to, and I often don't reply to various portions, not out of any lack of will or because of some hidden agenda, but simply for lack of time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 53 users online. 0 members and 53 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X