RK Oaks Strike or Restrike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oaks photos

I hope to be able to post comparative photos late today EST (Friday).

Please realize other weights/sizes either + or - can vary from mine because our scales/calipers are not calibrated to each other. This is why I will not list weights of other Oaks I may have in my archive.

I have no agenda here, nor am I going to offer any opinions. I only want to give the members the "facts" as I am able to present them. Just like when we buy pieces - - the final decision should (and will) be left for you to make.

Regards,
    Rich Moran

Comment

Mag: Thanks for the measurements! I had a very relaxing vacation, and the only Oaks I saw were the California Oaks that decorate the countryside near Santa Barbara! Yes, on my way up, my wife and I stopped at Steve Wolfe's and I dropped off the Oaks to him - asking him for a 100% frank evaluation. He gave me permission to report that in his opinion, the Oakleaves I was selling corresponded identically to original L50 marked examples he had in his possession. He believes them to be 100% original, die struck, perfect right down to the pebbling. His scale was not working, but he did send them off, and we know they were weighed and measured now. He also mentioned that he had never seen an L50 type example with 900/21 markings (which, he added, though they are slightly "off-space" conform identically with respect to font, size and depth, to the 900/21 markings we find on other real examples. His conclusion was that any red-flags are simply a trick of the camera, and these are 100% authentic.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Gottlieb
        He also mentioned that he had never seen an L50 type example with 900/21 markings (which, he added, though they are slightly "off-space" conform identically with respect to font, size and depth, to the 900/21 markings we find on other real examples.
        Craig: Eh? That's Canadian for please explain.

Chris/Rich: Measurements are nice (my scale/calper your scale/caliper, Chris's scale +-5%) but all I really EVER wanted was photos of the back in lieu of holding them myself...

Comment

Back Photos

Brian,

My guys are taking photos as we "speak" in my plant. I'll get front/back and sides - all close up as a 200 mm macro lens will allow.

As I said I will probably post them late today.

Rich Moran

Comment

Thanks Rich. Front probably not so significant as a backside. Having tried unsuccessfully to photo the back of my oaks, I appreciate the challenge.

Fake, real, strike, restrike, it will be interesting to finally get the info to make an informed decision.
            Last edited by Brian S; 03-26-2004, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Brian: If you notice on the oaks I am selling (yes, after getting the nod from Steve Wolfe, who has physically inspected these with the "controversy" in mind, they are still for sale), the "900" and "21" seem ever so slightly closer to the reverse ring than on other examples. I have NO idea what the tolerances are on the positioning of these numbers, but my guess is that they were applied by hand, and therefore the positioning would differ. However, WITHIN the two marks, the number spacing and strike depth are identical to all other original examples. I look forward to seeing the pics, Mag.

Comment

If applied by hand I wouldn't worry about placement of the 21 900. Glad they are still for sale but I have to say a nod from Steve should not deter the collector from making an informed decision which I hope we can do after seeing the photos. I wish you had just posted photos rather than running them through your experts. I'm a little confused? You obviously have a great camera and we all could have learned something from your photos. When we asked for photos of the S&L you sold we were ignored. I just don't get it?

With a few photos this goes to a quick resolution rather than a Greek Passion Play of hundreds of posts and doubt and questions quickly dispelled.

But on another note, Dietrich or one of you engineers, do you know how to measure the concavity of these types of objects?

Comment

Brian,

this is tough. Maybe, put a straight steel piece from one side to the other (always same spot, preferably) and measure the depth. But this will not be very accurate. This piece is like a bowl, it's tough. Another comparison could be to measure the length of the loop (measured as a bow) and compare. But again, not very accurate. I have serious doubts that this will give any believable accuracy for comparison and judgement!

Dietrich
                  B&D PUBLISHING
                  Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Give it some thought. If you come up with something we all do with consistency and not fall into a device calibration error problem it would be helpful.

Comment

Easy, use a depth micrometer!

Comment

Photos

Front comparisons

All photos are Copyright 2004 Mid-Atlantic Communications
                        Last edited by magprint; 03-30-2004, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Back Comparisons

Back Photos - Left to Right

Awarded L/50, Craigs Oaks, Schloss Kleißheim 900/21
                          Last edited by magprint; 03-30-2004, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Photos

Side comparisons 1

Comment

Side comparisons

Side comparisons #2

Comment

Large Front

Front Right of Craigs

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 119 users online. 0 members and 119 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X