One piece cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One piece cross

Would a one piece WW1 EK2 bring a premium price ? I have had close on 200 WW1 EK2s and this is the first on piecer I have had....

Chris,

I have one of these ersatz EKIIs. It is one of just two I have seen in almost 30 years of interest in and collecting of 2nd and 3rd Reich German medals and badges. I would say that they are rare! Regarding price, were I to sell mine, I would treat it like a Round 3 or Schinkelform 1939 EKII. Or perhaps even the 42mm EKII. But I have no intention of selling it. As a striking, it is simply a superbly detailed piece. It is actually more beautiful than most standard 3-piece EKIIs of the period, the earliest KO and Wagner crosses aside. I have a picture of it somewhere which I'll post later as I have to take my motorbike for its weekly blow-out along some leafy country backroads.

PK

Comment

Guys, before I hit the estand... can noone tell me what a fair asking price would be ????

Comment

Chris, why not put it in the e-stand, set a starting price and allow members to bid as in an auction? The starting price could be the minimum that you would be willing to accept. Run the auction for 10 days and continually update your bids so everyone will know where you stand. I don't think this runs afoul of any rules of the website, but if it does, I'm sure Seba would let you know.
        Richard V

Comment

ERSATZ 1914 EK2 in a big way

..here's one that will warm the cockles of your hearts. Not only is it one-piece, but it is brass and Frainch made to boot! See page 168 of Stephen P.'s book.
          Do I get any points for the mega rare nautical style plus foreign made?!?

Comment

reverse

The crown on the obverse is actually supposed to be a napoleonic crown...note the small oak leaf sprig on the reverse.

Comment

ersatz EKII 1939

Are there any ersatz EK II 1939 made? I've got a solid EK II 1939 but I bought it from a guy as a fake years ago for a few bucks. Now I've learned something about the Iron Cross, I'm beginning to apreciate this " fake" It is so nicely detailed and it is so obviously made out of one piece, there has to be someting about this one.

Can't upload any pic's, sorry.

Cheers:Peter

Comment

Dear Peter,

Sure there are EKs from 1939 in a one piece construction. Hard to tell if yours is fine without pictures, but keep it for the time being.

Cheers, Frank H.
                Cheers, Frank

Comment

RE: Napoleonic Crown on EK2

Nice one piece cross... However, earlier last year there was a post regarding the Napoleonic Crown on 1914 EKs (as illustrated in the Iron Time) and somebody posted that these were made in Austria as wearing copies/purchase pieces during the war.
                  What is your evidence that this EK was made in France? Does it come with provenance?
                  Many thanks,Cheers
                  JeMc

Comment

No Provenance,

... and I was just having a little harmless fun with the other threads concerning French made war badges (Baqueville). I don't know if it is a French or Austrian piece , but the crown DOES look like a Frainch type.

Best,
                    e-

Comment

one-piece EK's

Here's a new wrinkle: I recently bought a nicely detailed one-piece 1914 EK2 on a ribbon with an OLD tag attached stating it came from the grave of a German officer moved in late November 1918. The tag did not say if it was in the grave, or on the grave marker. It does show some signs of being buried or exposed to the elements. This all sounds pretty ghoulish, I know, but it raises an interesting question. The cross is not of the typical Austrian made design with the small crown, but is a very nice casting or stamping of a standard EK2, plated, with the center carefully painted black. Is it possible that these one-piece EK's were made for burial or grave marker purposes, with the original award cross being sent home?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X