Ldo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ldo

We often bandy the phrase LDo around "wouldnt have passed LDO controls..." "LDo would not have put there stamp on that !"

Etc., etc., etc.

I think we may be shooting in the wrong direction there.

Here is how I see it (may be right, may be wrong...)

The LDo did not sit at the end of the production line controlling badges.

A firm who was LDO approved and who wanted to make badges (lets say Close Combat Clasps) applies to the LDO,
    LDO says ..
    1) sorry, we have 5 contracts out and that covers it
    or
    2) Here are the specs. make 10 samples and send them to us.

Firm makes up some samples and sends them to the LDO who then says "fine, you have permission to make them."

I have seen a LDO bag where it says pretty much what it says on any box of chocolates "If this product has any faults, it will be replaced".

I assume the responsability of control lay with the firm itself, not the LDO.

Anyone agree... anyone disagree ???

Chris,

My understanding is exactly the same as yours, quality control of production run items would lie with the individual manufacturer.
    I would guess that on being awarded a contract the first few production samples would probably be submitted for general approval but once the badge went into volume production, the individual firm would carry out its own QA

Gordon

Comment

I will go with that too, adding possible checks on productions by LDO to keep the quality high (at least to keep a "pressure" on makers) - kind of control the controlers - if the quality is not respacted = you loose your contract.

François
      Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

I would also advance the theory that the LDO would have contzracted firms to meet demands, and that firms could not just produce whatever they wanted.

Comment

LDO

Hello,

Good theory here and i like the way this is going, i have however some basic questions here ( and mayby Gordon can help out here ? )

THe " Leistungsgemeinschaft Deutsche Ordenhersteller " ( or in short LDO ) had a official newspaper : " Schwert und Spaten " .
          This was a specialized newspaper for producers of awards etc .. in witch they explain the newest technics in producing ( this fact i know for sure => there can be seen a facsimile of a page out of this mag. in Harald Geisslers " Das Eisernes Kreuz ...... " where the Gablonzer technique is explained in detail , etc ... ) what other information they list, i do not know but is suspect that there are loads of info for us collectors .

The sad thing about this wil probably be the following , keeping the number of LDO firms in mind and the fact that this was a highly specialized mag. for professional's these are extremely hard to find but i think whenever such a item comes above the water again it has very useful info in it .....

So who can help out here ?
          my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Yes, sources of information such as Schwert & Spaten, Uniformen Markt etc are invaluable and contain many period trade announcements, adverts for medal making firms, official price guides for awards etc etc, but ARE indeed very hard to find.

Detlev has some (NOT for sale) and was kind enough to supply me with some photocopied pages and they are a collectors dream as far as info is concerned. Here you will find Souval adverts with the L58 code confirming that it WAS their number despite some claims to the contrary, also adverts for firms like Deumer etc. This is where proclamations such as the warning about not using materials other than iron for the centre of iron crosses was published.
            I'll post some images of some of the adverts therein once I get them scanned etc..

Gordon

Comment

I agree with you Chris. If I understand correctly, should a firm constantly turn out sub-standard badges, I they would run the risk of having their license revoked. In this way the LDO exerted pressure on QA and standardization indirectly, but not by having a guy standing at the end of the line.

Gordon, I would love the see the scans!

Seba
              Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X