Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round "3" 1939 EK II

Hi All,
    I have the reprint of the 1939 Assmann Sales Catalog as I'm sure some of you do. I was just thumbing through it to check on something I was curious about - Their advertised Iron Crosses of the period. When I found them on page 134 I was quite suprised to see on both the EK I & II class that the "3" in the date "1939" is of the rounded type, not the standard flat top we are used to seeing. Now I know this is a reprint of the actual catalog - would anyone have an original period Assmann catalog to verify that they were of the rounded "3" type and not some typographical error in the reprinting?
    ERIC

Come on fellas - Rounded "3" EK's carry no maker mark - Could they actually be Assmanns?
    ERIC

Comment

Here is a rounded three EK1 from one of my groupings. It has always reminded me of an Imperial cross, the shape of the arms pin fitting etc. I always felt it was made by one of the old firms that made medals during WWI. Was assmann around then? There may have been more than one maker too. This cross is also slightly vaulted and really high quality.
      Attached Files

Comment

Back
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Andy,
          Catalog says established the Assmann firm was established in 1866. By the way, let me know when you're sick of looking at that EK1 you have!
          ERIC

Comment

Andy,

I have an identical round 3 EKI like the one you posted in my collection. The same features on the obverse and the identical hinge and pin arrangement on the reverse. mine is also slightly vaulted and came cased. This is one very tough first class Iron Cross to find! In my collection I also have an award 1914 EKI and a prinzen 1914 EKI with the same hinge and catch assembly. The standard size is a flat example while the prinzen is also vaulted. At this time I am unable to post pictures but will try to remedy this soon. Nice pictures and a nice cross.
            Best regards and good hunting to all.
            Tiger 1
            Last edited by Tiger 1; 04-28-2002, 02:07 AM.
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

There is another feature of theround 3 EKs which ties in with the posting on the thick core S&L RK, and that is the paint finish.

I have examined a good number of round 3 EK2s and whilst from the die characteristics they are clearly by the same maker, the paint finish has run froma very smooth typical finish, to a rougher almost stippled finish. On a couple of these I have seen where the paint was badly flaked it was the iron core which had this stipple ( something I have also seen on early Schinkel EK1s) and was presumable intended to give the paint a surface to "key" onto.

Also the round 3 EK1s come with two different pin fittings, the early type as shown above and the more normal stype shown below.

This EK has been pictured so that the angle of the light emphasises the stipple effect, its not quite as obvious as this.

Comment

The reverse of the same piece

Comment

Round ''3'' maker

Hi Gordon,
                  Would you have any inkling as to who is the maker of the Round ''3'' EK2's? Could it be the Assmann firm? S&L? Why would Assmann put these in thier 1939 catalog if they did not manufacture them?
                  ERIC

Comment

Just a picture of an EK2 with rounded "3" I am reluctantly selling (on ebay). Not really an advert but thought I would provide a picture. Cant see a makers mark on ring but it is difficult to see due to mounting. I notice that the ring attachment is also unusual with it being only attached to the rear.
                    Last edited by Macmedal; 04-29-2002, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X