Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spange EK 1 OK ?

Good evening to all,

A friend purchased the following badge and has a doubt on his authenticity. Is this badge original ? Thank you beforehand for your comments and reactions.

Cordial greetings.

Polux
    Attached Files

I believe this spange to be a good example of the "unknown maker" type - but i will bow to the better knowledge of the forum spange experts?

regards

Hadrian

Comment

Spange

I concur, Unknown maker. Jim

Comment

I agree that the maker is unknown, but I think this one may be a fake.

Let's hear from Ben or Jon. There are some differences between this example and known good Unknown Maker Spangen:

Robert Pierce

And:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by streptile; 04-24-2010, 04:59 PM.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

hmmm, yes, I agree with Trevor
          Well made, but these pics look like a fake to me
          nearly there, but not quite. Soft details, strange finish, slightly wrong hinge and hook, very soft pebbling.
          Almost, but not for me

'Fakers' are well aware that we know what authentic makers look like now, what's real and what's fantasy, however well made.
          They're trying to precisely replicate originals. They're a few years away. But watch out, one piece awards like spangen are easy targets

regards
          jon

Comment

Eagle eye Trevor strikes again.
            Good eye my friend
            Dave

Comment

Reading some of Robert Pierces posts, a key feature of defining an original is its weight? - the fake ones are usually heavier than the originals [& thicker?]

I will check some prevoius posts to define correct weight?

Regards

Hadrian

Comment

According to Robert Pierce - who owns at least three of these "unknown maker"spanges - the correct weight of an original is :- 9.9 grams

regards

Hadrian

Comment

I'll chime in late; the first things that catch my eye are the unusual catch and the lack of pebbling behind the swasi/within the wreath. For that matter, the pebbling in the date box is very indistinct/weak. I think a weight would sort things out in a hurry. It is true, the fakes are thicker and heavier. And, they just can't seem to get the hardware or finish right. You'll find these fakes with the clamshell disc also.
                  Attached Files

Comment

rev
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tinmantis View Post
                      hmmm, yes, I agree with Trevor
                      Well made, but these pics look like a fake to me
                      nearly there, but not quite. Soft details, strange finish, slightly wrong hinge and hook, very soft pebbling.
                      Almost, but not for me

'Fakers' are well aware that we know what authentic makers look like now, what's real and what's fantasy, however well made.
                      They're trying to precisely replicate originals. They're a few years away. But watch out, one piece awards like spangen are easy targets

regards
                      jon
                      I think Jon summed it all up, I have nothing more to add.
                      Always be careful with clasps, the fakes are getting better and better.....

Comment

AS already stated, the lack of details on the pebbling should really raise some concerns.

/Flemming

Comment

If this is a fake (and the hardware, finish, and lack of pebbling indicate that it is), then whoever made it is using either the original die or one exactly like it, because every obverse identifying characteristic of this type of Spange is present.
                          Perhaps the odd finish is due to the fact that it is stamped out of some material different than the original ones were? As for the hardware, I'll bet that that's difficult to duplicate exactly -- for now.
                          George

Comment

Very good points, George. These fakes are very close to the originals. I'd still like to know the weight, and see a side view of the clasp to determine its thickness. Here is a shot of the pebbling on one of my nicer pieces...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Somebody should take a break from collecting (I know -- who would make the sacrifice?! ) and do some research into the modern methods that could be used to make reproductions. How would someone do it? Are there laser-related methods for making new dies? What kind of equipment and expertise would be needed? What kind of wartime manufacturing materials and techniques are still available or in use? Etc., etc., etc. It would make for an invaluable reference source for collectors hoping to avoid the most modern, state-of-the-art copies.
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X