New to EKII's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to EKII's

Tomorrow I'm going to a military trade show, and I'm going to be looking for some EKII's. I have little experience with these. Could anyone give me some tips on how to spot the fakes?

I would advise you not to be hasty, and read up on them first, although I do understand the desire to 'get one now'.

There are some really bad and some really good fakes out there, the bad ones being pretty easy to spot.
    Avoid anything that looks in any way crudely made.
    Although some genuine one piece crosses and non ferrous cores exist, these are rare. You would be safer buying a 3 piece manufacture (2 silver frames (look for a seam where the 2 frames join) and a ferrous core - a magnet will stick to it).
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of fakes that also fit this description too.

Again, I suggest you hold off on your purchase until you have studied crosses some more. There simply is not enough time to explain what to look for in each different known fake, and the range of genuine EK's have so many different makers, each with their own characteristics, that make it impossible to explain everything to be aware of in one night.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but best of luck,
    Regards - Danny

Comment

I think Danny's advice is excellent. It takes time... there is no one thing that distinguishes a fake from a good cross. But I have two suggestions if you really want one tomorrow.

1. Bill Shea from The Ruptured Duck often sets up a table at smaller shows. All of his crosses are good ones. If you can find him, pay the extra $10-$20 to shop there.

2. Take some (good, crisp, focused) photos of any crosses you are considering at the show and post them into this thread while you're there (if you have an iPhone or the equivalent) for quick opinions.

If neither of these is an option, I would say the best thing to do is to wait.
      Best regards,
      Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

All this is excellent advice ! There is alot of great information to study on this forum and some very helpful experts who are only too pleased to share their knowledge and help us negociate the fakes minefield!

Good luck with your quest and we look forward to seeing your new EKs

PS. Be warned you will not stop at only one

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Wood-SS View Post
          I have little experience with these.
          Then follow Danny's advice - " I suggest you hold off on your purchase until you have studied crosses some more. There simply is not enough time to explain what to look for in each different known fake, and the range of genuine EK's have so many different makers, each with their own characteristics, that make it impossible to explain everything to be aware of in one night." - and wait.
          It won't be the end of the world if you don't buy one and you could buy a genuine EK any day of the week from this forum or any one of a hundred dealers. If you don't know what you're looking for - hold back. You might get lucky but you also might be burned and end up with a fake cross, out of pocket by $100 and feel like you've been robbed.
          If you absolutely must buy one, get a return deal, the dealers name, number, website etc so if you get a fake you can get your money back. Post it here for opinions.
          I don't mean to be gloomy about it but it's been seen many times here before, a dealer sells a fake with some story that he got it from a vet who prised it from the still warm fingers of an SS soldier he killed in hand to hand combat in the ruins of the Reichs Chancellery building five minutes before the surrender.....etc.....etc.....
          It can be a major turn off to go gungho and buy what you think is a genuine artifact only to be very disappointed.

Comment

As a beginning collector, your best bet is to buy your first EK2s from the e-Stand here. You could also post in the Wanted section that you're looking for EK2s to start your collection.

If you're going to try to get one at a show, avoid crosses with these features:

1) Casting bubbles (take a loupe or magnifying glass with at least 10x)
            2) Made of soft, easily-bent metal (most of this type can be bent by hand)
            3) Dull frames (some originals are dull, but look for crosses with plenty of frosting on the frames, as well as a mirror-bright finish on the edges of the frames)
            4) Avoid one-piece constructed crosses until you know what to look for

Before you go to the show, look through all of the threads about EKs, which will give you a good idea of what to look for when you buy your first cross.

Comment

What NOT to buy...

Here is a link to an EK2 I bought at a show during my early days as an EK2 collector, which turned out to be fake. Lucky for me, I was staying at a hotel because I was going to attend the 2nd day of the show, so I was able to post photos and get a quick opinion here, and I was also able to get my money back from the dealer. Here is the link:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=287203

The first photo says it all - look at the casting bubbles on the 12 o'clock arm and the 3 o'clock arm.

Comment

Good advice given to you here !!!
                Otherwise you are like a person that does not know how to swim - jumping in the deep end of the pool .

Douglas

Comment

Thanks guys I kept myself from buying a cross at the show, but I can't to get an EKII...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X