Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ldo

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help. I am looking to find out when the LDO disbanded. When ever you read about it, it only ever seems to mention when it was established. I presume it was at the end of WWII, but I can't find any info stating it as clearly as that.

The reason I ask is, is it possible to find a 1957 EKI, EkII or RK boxed in an LDO branded case? Further from that, what packaging did the recipients of the different '57 awards receive their awards in?

Rgds,

Craig.

The LDO, Leistungs Gemeinschaft Deutscher Ordenshersteller was introduced in 1941 to over supervise/ legislate under the Chancellery control the production of awards. They upheld all the rules and regulations in other words.

So with the wars end so did this, your more likely to find a period award in a '57 box than the other way around Sure, in all events it's possible that existing stocks of boxes if available could have been used, I'm not aware of it and I don't honestly don't know ?

The RK & DK for example as you're aware had there own '57 box I would imagine this as a more likely and common practice of presentation.

The other awards for instance the pilots badge, IAB, Kreta cuff title came in award packets and still do of course.

Heres a sample of three more modern era packets maker marked 'A' on the back for Assmann, I've over a hundred of these little things all different.

Sorry about the pic it's a bit dark in here right now.

Kr

Marcus
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the information and you seem to confirm my thoughts. Interesting I haven't ever seen a '57 packet before....

In particular, was the '57 EK1 ever presented in a case to the best of your knowledge?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Craig.

Comment

Craig,

It was quite common for early 1957 awards to be sold in left over stocks of original wartime cases and with left over wartime ribbon where appropriate.

Once these had run out, only the higher grade awards like the Knight's Cross seem to have been sold in cases which were based on the original wartime ones.
        Once stocks of wartime cases were exhausted German Crosses and Iron Crosses First Class were sold in horrible black plastic cases with foam inlays not dissimilar to those used for cheap jewellery.
        Most 1957 naval badges were sold in green card boxes, with green flock lining, unlike anything used during wartime.
        These paper packets seem to be a recent phenomenon. I'd be interested to know if anyone had ever seen one before they started appearing in the last year or so. Not so sure about the "A" for "Assmann", Its quite unlike the Assmann A logo, and Assmann never made many, if any, of the 1957 awards. Can't imagine what the connection with Assmann would be.

Comment

You would assume so, but alas I'm not coversant with the '57 awards at all, althought a part of German medal history I consider them 'unofficial' as such. I can't profess to actually having any knowledge of a boxed '57 EK 1 or seen one, I've never been that inclined to seek any knowledge on them, so I don't know I'm afraid.

I would consider early examples worthy in a collection some used the original dies etc The rest each to their own, a collectors choice.

There seems to be a collectors market for these hence possibly the extent of which awards you can buy !

Just my opinion.

Kind regards,

Marcus
          Attached Files

Comment

There once was link to the modern Assmann 'outlet' I can't seem to find it, could someone please make this available if possible I've just tried and come up with all sorts other than the site I want.

Kind regards,

Marcus

Gordon, the above post with the picture was posted before I realised you too had posted.

Jamie Cross has had some earlier packets (one or two), these yes I would agree were made yesterday examples, I believe they are from Assmann and will be interested in viewing what awards they still make........any ideas who else it could be with that A ?

Like I say theres a market more than ever, packets and all for the collector.
            Last edited by MH184; 02-12-2004, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies/information Gordon/Marcus. Very interesting stuff.....

I do like the early '57 awards, but they do see quite scarce and now I wish I hadn't passed up the opportunities I have been offiered in the past. ;*( I'll keep looking.....

Gordon, do you know a Lewis Connochie. I understand he lives a few miles from you?

All the best.

Craig.

Comment

Originally posted by HAL
                Thanks for the replies/information Gordon/Marcus. Very interesting stuff.....

I do like the early '57 awards, but they do see quite scarce and now I wish I hadn't passed up the opportunities I have been offiered in the past. ;*( I'll keep looking.....

Gordon, do you know a Lewis Connochie. I understand he lives a few miles from you?

All the best.

Craig.
                Craig,

Yes I know Lewis. Good bloke. He is big into ordnance, but I think he is beginning to get the "bug" for awards too now . He knows of the Forum, I thibk he has visited a couple of times.

Comment

Hi Gordon,

and that's kind of how I know Lewis, I have bought a few items from him, Kugel, M24, Glass mine etc... I swear he pinched the M24 straight off the production line....

I think you're right he has a growing weakness for DK's... I am meeting up with him on Feb 22nd at the National Motorcycle Museum, I'll pass on your regards.

All the best,

Craig.

Comment

Lewis died last week.

RIP Lewis.

You will be sadly missed by all the collecting community in Scotland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X