HELP! Can this EK2 be saved????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Can this EK2 be saved????

Here is an EK2 I purchased in a wonderful large group of luftwaffe badges, tinnies, cased EK1, etc from the nephew of a vet of a transport unit. All the items were in very nice shape with the exception of this piece. It has active rust, and I need advice. What should I do at this point?
    Attached Files

Reverse

Reverse...I do not know if someone tried to clean the rust and removed some paint or if this came through some sort of wear, but I don't want to remove any additional original paint!
    Attached Files

Comment

Maker Marked Ring

Here is the maker mark, which I believe it "24". Who is this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best wishes and good collecting,

William
      Attached Files

Comment

Wm:

Too bad about the EK2. I kind of like it in its "relic" state. If it were mine I would try to find a worn, soiled and slightly tattered ribbon to go with it. I think trying to clean it would be an exercise in futility.

However, if you must try something I would suggest using a soft bristle toothbrush to remove the loose rust and debris and then use a Q-Tip dipped in olive or vegetable oil and lightly swab the rusted areas with a thin coat of oil.

Maker Mark #24 belongs to:Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Hanauer Plaket-ten-hersteller

Good Luck,
        John
        Last edited by Market Garden; 02-10-2004, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Buy a hygrometer.
          They measure temperature and humidity.
          small ones cost between 30 and 50 bucks.
          Find a place where the humidity is stable at about 50%.(anything between 40% and 65% is ok)50% is perfect.

At 50%,the rust will deactivate and in time will go dark brown.No need to muck around with oils.

Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Both viewpoints are appreciated equally. Yes, in a way, seeing a relic of the Third Reich appearing as though it was "just found" in some ruins or on a battlefield is kind of appealing. I also was given two inert Potato Masher grenades that have some rust and one has a couple of termite bites....maybe I should just make a display with a filthy flag and any other tidbits like those I could find!

I will definitely follow the advice of the purchase of a hygrometer, as I have helmets and other gear that I don't want to see rust take over!

Comment

William,

You may try this approach. Bring the suspended Iron Cross to a slow boil in distilled water.

This will kill the rusting action. Dry completely, oil or wax if you like and you're finished.

In the firearm trade, gun blueing, specifically rust blueing is stopped from further rusting by boiling the rusted parts in water. This is part of the process of building up a dark, durable blued finish. In your case the result will most likely not be a blue but a black oxide.

This may be of some help to stop further corrosion. Boiling happens at 212 degrees so there is no danger of the solder letting loose.

Tony
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X