Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermixed Schinkel

Hello gentlemen,

Just arrived today is this intermixed Schinkel EKII. Can someone please explain why it's called 'intermixed'? A wild guess - Is it because the frame is fashioned somewhere between an Imperial and a standard '39 cross?

Hope you enjoy the photos...

Robert
    Attached Files

rev
    Attached Files

Comment

good thread from Daniel on the Halb or intermixed here http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=244077

great condition EK2 Robert!

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Comment

Robert that is one good looking cross! Nice find my friend

Ryan

Comment

Thank you, Ryan. The jumpring is soldered just to the obverse of the cross, not to the reverse.

Comment

Hi Robert! That's a real beauty, I love it and would love to have one in my little (and growing) EK collection as well
              Greg

Comment

Hi Robert.

The initial term "Intermixed" or "Halbschinkel" ("Halfschinkel") was coined because it was believed these frames were an intermediate stage between the traditional ~42mm WWI frame shape, and the common ~44mm WWII frame shape. When Daniel wrote his excellent thread about these, that was the thinking.

HERE is another thread on this type, which contains links to a few others in turn.

However, our collective knowledge about this type took a huge step forward recently when Carl (Roglebk) found a match to this frame on a true WWI-made EK2. Thus the term "Intermixed" or "Halbschinkel" should be phased out, in my opinion, in favor of "Schinkel by unknown maker."

HERE is the post in which Carl first revealed his discovery.

By reading the first thread mentioned above, you can see that it was suspected earlier than it was proved that this was a genuine, true Schinkel. Now we know for sure. The next step is to put a maker to it, something that I am sure can be done with a little bit of work. It's a matter of finding the frame on a marked Imperial EK2.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to say...

Great cross!

And I'm so happy to see you presenting photographs right out of the gate, in lieu of scans .
                  Best regards,
                  Streptile

Comment

Not to entrude on Robert's thread...sorry...but Trevor, thanks sooo much! I learn so much from your posts! Thanks!!!!
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by aff96 View Post
                      Not to entrude on Robert's thread...sorry...but Trevor, thanks sooo much! I learn so much from your posts! Thanks!!!!
                      Greg
                      I echo that, Greg. Trevor is a real asset to this forum! And, thank you both for your satisfaction in the cross. It is a really nice example, and I feel priveledged to have the opportunity to own it. So, Trevor, it's on its way to becoming known as a Schinkel by a known maker. For now it is no longer a 'half'- Schinkel, but a full Schinkel. I'll go back and study the links you provided. There I'm sure I'll find out if the cross Carl matched the frame to was marked or not.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I try to give back a little of what was given to me by others on this forum.

Robert, you are correct that no marked example has been found yet. But, honestly, I think it is for lack of trying. I think a weekend of concerted looking (at, for example, the many Imperial EKs on Kai Winkler's site) would do the trick.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Comment

A comparison...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Robert,

That's a perfect match. Is your 1914 marked?

Comment

No more halb schinkels you sleep you miss threads & break throughs! Instead we get upgraded to another full fat schinkel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X