Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Cross reproduction?

Hello all,
    a fellow collector friend of mine has been offered this DK for a potential purchase. I know nothing about awards, but i do know a place where people do... .
    So, here are some pics shot this afternoon for your esteemed perusal (in less than favourable conditions, so i'm sorry for the quality).
    Some details you may find of interest are:
    Maker marked "20".
    45.4 Grammes in weight.
    63.08mm in height.
    63.06mm in width.
    If you could perhaps shed some light onto the potential authenticity, you could make a fellow collector happy..or at least keep him a little wealthier .
    Thanks for your time and any help,

Patrick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Patrick Dempsey; 02-07-2004, 01:48 PM.

More..
    Attached Files

Comment

More part two..
      Attached Files

Comment

yet more..
        Attached Files

Comment

A batch of details.
          Attached Files

Comment

Oops...
            forgot one ..
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick
              Oops...
              forgot one ..
              The heavy hitters i am sure will weigh in on this. The dimensions and weight are identical to Zimmerman DKiGs (light version)noted in Gordon Williamsons book. The date on the "1941" is consistent with the shape of the digits for zimmerman, in that the superior portion of the "1"s have a brids beak appearance and the inferior portion of the "9" ends in a truncated semicircle. The rivets are hollow and elevated, consistent with zimmermans. The shape of the hinge, pin and cathc are consistent with zimmermans. The oblong plate on first view did not appear, there, but on closer view appears slightly recessed in the plate consistent with zimmermans. I cannot see any gaps in the wreath from a side view as the images are not clear, nor the "sandwich appearance of the copper plate immediately below the silver plating on the reverse. The black on the star burst does not appear blued,as some fakes are.
              I would say this is real. I am a relative newbie, but have looked at these images on the site, my zimmerman, as well as Gordon's book until I am cross-eyed. Do you have an image of the "20" stamp on the reverse of the pin?

Comment

Hi Tom,
                alas i couldn't get a clear shot of the maker mark to come out .
                In the flesh the badge does appear to have the "Sandwich" effect you mentioned.
                Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I can't see anything wrong with it.
                  George

Comment

Looks good to me! If thats a fake we are all in trouble. Thanks
                    "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Looks fine to me,
                      has many points that match my Zimmermann's.

Comment

thanks gents!

Hi all,
                        thanks for the input, we have just made a fellow collector a very happy bunny i suspect .
                        Thanks for all the help, it's been fun dipping my toe into the "Crosses" pond.

All the best,

Patrick.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X