Cased EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased EK2

One of the more unusual cased EK2s I've seen.
    Last edited by Gordon Williamson; 08-30-2008, 11:56 PM.

Sorry the pics were taken in poor light and are a bit dark, but you can see the black velvet base is recessed in the shape of the CRoss.

Comment

Here's the real unusual part. Labels on the underside of the box.

Comment

Thats a interesting one

Comment

Ek2

Looks different. Is this yours Gordon or is it for sale somewhere?

Comment

Ribbon?

Very neat, where does the ribbon go? Or is this one not supposed to come with a ribbon?

-Shane

Comment

Is the cross marked?
              George

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson
                Is the cross marked?
                George,
                No it isn't marked, I'd be worried if it was. This would have to be a private purchase piece and as Karneth didn't have an L/ number, I would expect the Cross to be an early (pre LDO) unmarked piece.
                Of course there is no way of being sure that this is the original cross for this box, but at least there is no reason to suspect it isn't.

Shane,
                No many cased 2nd Classes, (KVK and EK) come in boxes with no provision for a ribbon.

I'll scan the EK and post images later.

Comment

whats up with the swaz/helmet sticker?

kind of funny..as if there wasnt enough Nazi imagery around, they had to make little decorative stickers.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
                    whats up with the swaz/helmet sticker?
                    I'm sure the sticker had nothing to do with the manufacturer, more likely it was added by the retailer as this clearly isn't an official award piece.

Originally posted by Mark Schroeder
                    kind of funny..as if there wasnt enough Nazi imagery around, they had to make little decorative stickers.
                    True, but we are talking about a piece most likely produced when the Third Reich was at its peak of power, so an abundance of "patriotic" imagery isn't really surprising.

Here is the cross

Comment

Reverse

Comment

Hi Gordon,
                        Doesn't the cross itself look a little worn to have lived in the box? If it did not live in the case how did they stay together? As a complete novice, these are questions not judgements in any way. BTW I got your book and it is great! Still not finished with it, I'm reading it slowly to try to absorb the massive amount of info in there!
                        Best, Sal

Comment

It might be tarnished, but it doesn't really look worn.
                          George

Comment

Originally posted by Sal Williams
                            Hi Gordon,
                            Doesn't the cross itself look a little worn to have lived in the box? If it did not live in the case how did they stay together? As a complete novice, these are questions not judgements in any way. BTW I got your book and it is great! Still not finished with it, I'm reading it slowly to try to absorb the massive amount of info in there!
                            Best, Sal
                            Sal,

There really isn't any way to be 100% certain that the cross in any award case is the one that was there originally. All we can really say is the cross is the right type of cross for the period of the case. Sometimes, if both the case and cross are marked to the same maker, we can also say its the cross is of the right make, but thats about it.

This particular cross is totally unworn, the photos don't do it justice, its just that it is heavily tarnished.

Comment

We've seen other pieces that did live in the box forever and they were oxidised or the zinc had gone nasty.

I'm curious if anyone knows if they used acids in their paper making process???

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X