DKIG Diamonds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKIG Diamonds?

I found a DKIG in gold with diamonds for sale, the seller states the "pin is etched Rath Munchen as it should be." I read on the Wehrmacht awards site about DKIGs that it was "stamped Rath Munchen." Which is it, stamped or etched does anyone know?

Originally posted by USGI
    I found a DKIG in gold with diamonds for sale, the seller states the "pin is etched Rath Munchen as it should be." I read on the Wehrmacht awards site about DKIGs that it was "stamped Rath Munchen." Which is it, stamped or etched does anyone know?
    The pin is ETCHED. You have found a very rare badge.

Comment

Just curious to know where you have have found such a scarce award. Here or in Europe?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

As Mr Stump stated, etched, but also by hand (so minor differences may occur)

for a nice example look at:

http://www.warelics.com/Medals.htm

the items on this site are great.

regards,

DJ
        Last edited by deejay; 01-31-2004, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Very nice find if it's original.
          On that site there are some questionable items, like luftwaffe panzer assault badge, which is like balloon observer badge, believed to be never officially awarded.

Maybe Mr. Stump could give us an experts opinion on that diamond cross.

L

Comment

This one is for sale for a long time ago
            Originally posted by Larry L
            Very nice find if it's original.
            On that site there are some questionable items, like luftwaffe panzer assault badge, which is like balloon observer badge, believed to be never officially awarded.

Maybe Mr. Stump could give us an experts opinion on that diamond cross.

L

Comment

Yes, the warrelics site is where I saw this badge. Has anyone asked him for the price, I sent an e-mail to him but haven't got an answer back yet. It must be a kings ransom because your right it has been for sale a long time. The last time I saw one for sale was in the manions auction catalog starting bid 10,000 and it was damaged from the vet trying to take one of the rivits off and some stones were missing. The badge appears from his photos to be legit.

Comment

The damaged German Cross with missing stones had been repaired and restored. It now has an original worn case. Here is my example.
                Attached Files

Comment

In Case.
                  Attached Files

Comment

...The name and city ...Munchen Rath ...is engraved on these DK's.

Pieter
                    SUUM CUIQUE ...
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone for your info. This particular award is in my top five of the most awesome third reich awards just after the combined pilot observer and uboat badge with diamonds.

Comment

Originally posted by USGI
                        Thanks everyone for your info. This particular award is in my top five of the most awesome third reich awards just after the combined pilot observer and uboat badge with diamonds.
                        ...and what's four and five?

Pieter.
                        SUUM CUIQUE ...
                        sigpic

Comment

4. OLS&Diamonds platinum hand made by Klein ooooooooh so nice.
                          5. OLS by Godet late or early.

I'm a sucker for precious metals what else can I say!

Comment

Originally posted by deejay
                            Hi,

for a nice example look at:

http://www.warelics.com/Medals.htm

the items on this site are great.

regards,

DJ
                            If all this guys ultra rare badges are as "Archtypical" (to use his own comments) as his "Early Quality Tombak Juncker Para badge", I really would think twice before spending my money overthere

Comment

Hi guys,

Peter is correct. The Rath, Munchen is ENGRAVED on the pin.

There seems to be a very common misunderstanding of terminology when describing the the different techniques used in marking metal.

There are three distinct methods. ENGRAVING, STAMPING and ETCHING.

ENGRAVING is done using a gravers chisel to cut the inscription into the metal. Metal is removed from the object engraved using a mechanical means, in this case the gravers chisel. This chisel or graver can be pushed along by hand or tapped gently with a small hammer. The metal is actually cut from the surface and when properly done by an accomplished engraver the cuts are very smooth and professional. The cuts can be fine line or shaded depending on the depth of the cut and the angle at which the chisel is held in relation to the surface being engraved. This is ENGRAVING.

STAMPING is done using a die to displace the surface metal but not remove it. STAMPING is in effect a controlled indentation that is equi-depth throughout the mark being applied. This mark can be a single letter, silver purity numbers or a complete name and address. Many badges and medals are marked thru STAMPING.

ETCHING is done using chemical action to remove metal in a controlled fashion. Controlled errosion/corrosion as it were. This is normally done using a stencil and a stop out medium. The stop out or resist can be an asphaltum mix or something as simple as beeswax or even lacquer. The depth of the etch is controlled by the type, strength and temperature of the acid and the length of time the acid has to errode/corrode the metal. Etching was used to mark the mottos on SA/SS dagger blades and the earlier trademarks. This is ETCHING.

As we can see the three methods are distinctly different in application and in the finished effect. These different marking methods are another learned observational skill that a dedicated collector will do well to add to their personal bag of knowledge. If we understand how these different marks are applied we can better identify them.

This is a somewhat condensed description of the various processes used. Many times we confuse the issue by applying incorrect terminology that can compound the problems of determining originality correctly.

I hope this helps some.

Best regards and good hunting!

Tony
                              Last edited by Tiger 1; 01-31-2004, 04:55 PM.
                              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X