Ek1 26 serious paint problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
    This is an EKI that I purchsed recently. It had a very thin, flaky black wash applied over the core to hide its true worn condition. I revoved the wash very easily with a dull toothpick, restoring the badge to it's former worn, and attractive, condition. Why someone would want to cover up such an attractive cross is beyond me. I'm glad the wash flaked off so easily without disturbing the original period paint.
    Now that is an attractive EK. Oozing character!

Comment

yes but this cross is unissued, its a difference imo.

Comment

Originally posted by schönbeck View Post
        yes but this cross is unissued, its a difference imo.
        When I look at your photo of your cross before you removed the lacquer it makes me think someone applied a protective coating over the core to preserve the original paint. And, it didn't adhere to it very well. You never know what some collectors, or soldiers, will do to preserve a cross.

Comment

When I look at your photo of your cross before you removed the lacquer it makes me think someone applied a protective coating over the core to preserve the original paint. And, it didn't adhere to it very well. You never know what some collectors, or soldiers, will do to preserve a cross.
          I would hope it wasn't a period work. However, I don't think I've seen one with the paint that curled like that?

Comment

like i said I'm sure its untouched since it was brought home, if he did something when he snatched it is ofcourse impossible to say.

There is no evidence of any touch up. All the other awards were in untocuhed condition, no extra coating.

It was hard to show on the original photo, but the paint isnt curled, its very smooth.

Comment

If the top coat comes off but the coat underneath remains untouched then id say the paints are from different sources.

Id have to say that pic 19 shows a finish im not used to seeing on ek,s.

I wouldnt be so fast to discredit the actone proof nature of the enamel used on original ek cores because at this stage you dont actually know what the nature of the paint or finish is.

It may be typically coming off as postwar enamel does with acetone.
              Lets face it , you havent been with the cross since it left the factory and you truly dont know whats been done to it.Certainly a proffessional restorer could retouch a cross without any evidence.

Just playing the devils advocate.

Comment

Your absolutley right, we cant know for sure what happened during the years. But a touch up would be pointless since the color underneath is perfect.

I can say that the lot included several things, including a uniform with trousers, visor cap, various medals. And pretty sure that no restorer have toouched any of it. Most of the stuff were far from mint and all was wrapt inside the uniform. Also included a flag with all the names of the takers on.

Comment

Intresting test, i don't think i 'played' with EK my self, no hide areas and can destroyed easily...

You may, if don't, try first the smell and scratch test...

Now about the paint, the appearance is bizarre i have seen that kind of appearance on someWB's too but turned questionable, maybe isn't the same situation...however if you somehow restore a good condition of this minty Cross is all that matters to me for now...
                  sigpic

Comment

Well ... I suppose the proof or value of the treatment is in the pudding so to speak. The "after" pictures would tell if the risk was worth the reward.

Comment

i yet have to find out what to use to remove the last paint near the rim, a q-tip is no good. Any suggestions?

PS. Craig Gottlieb sells Black wound badges marked 4. All minty and all quite cheap. They dont stand the aceton test either. He still have them on his page.

Comment

Hi Daniel, a wooden toothpick soaked in Acetone is what i used on this 1914 Prinzen:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=416074

Comment

This is an EKI that I purchsed recently. It had a very thin, flaky black wash applied over the core to hide its true worn condition. I revoved the wash very easily with a dull toothpick, restoring the badge to it's former worn, and attractive, condition. Why someone would want to cover up such an attractive cross is beyond me. I'm glad the wash flaked off so easily without disturbing the original period paint.

This cross is such a beauty Robert!!! And worth so much more in the original state than in the repainted.

Comment

Still baffles me why there would be a second coat of paint applied (post war) when there (appears) to be no rust or paint loss on the bottom (original) layer?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X