W&L EKI, which core please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W&L EKI, which core please?

I've had this brass-cored W&L for some time now, and am still strying to discern which core type (1,2 or 3) it has. Using your chart, Douglas, I find that it doesn't have the 'slit-eyed' 9's that the type 1 have. It also doesn't have the 'pointy' top on the '1' like the 2nd type has. Neither does it have the 'hooked or curved' top '1' as the type 3 has. This leaves me wondering if there could be a possible type 4?

Here's my cross to start with...
    Attached Files

Here is your chart, Douglas, to judge from...
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's a closer look at the date...
      Attached Files

Comment

When talking of these different core types, how many examples of each type have been observed and used in creating the type categories?
        George

Comment

I had a look Robert .
          I would still say that core is a 2nd W&L core . Lighting is difficult on the one . The high spot on the 1 is pointy . Still one can see the flange on the 1 tip faning out wide and not pointy as one would think . Cores 2 and 3 are very comon and studied on dozons of crosses .
          This EK1 shows the same core type 2 . The last 9 has the same lumpy top as yours .

Douglas
          Attached Files

Comment

In addition I have been trying to add the reverse date in with these core types . In the case of the 2nd and 1st core - the 8 and 3 show more noticeable differences , when comparing EK2s .

Douglas
            Attached Files

Comment

Douglas,

According to your montage chart the 1st type core in the post just above (right cross) would be a type 2, not type 1; the eyes of the 9's are not 'slits'. And, it appears that the type 2 above has a 'hooked-nose' '1', and would fall into the type 3 category. Just my opinion, from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
                When talking of these different core types, how many examples of each type have been observed and used in creating the type categories?
                My question as well. You can't base ANYTHING on a couple of examples.

Comment

methodology question

btt with repeat of the question: When talking of these different core types, how many examples of each type have been observed and used in creating the type categories?
                  George

Comment

Sorry ... thought I had answered your question .
                    The 2 most common cores found in W&L EK2s , of which I have seen many and last week went on just one site and pulled up both core types that were for sale at the same time . To establish the existance of a variation you only need 1 example .... to verify the use or distribution ratio you need many to reach any level of accuracy . The other thing that comes into play here are ' production cores' and 'fill in cores' . Production cores intended as the main core and fill in cores like a backup for some shortage reason . Do not know if this appies to the 2 W&L cores here or not .

Douglas
                    Attached Files

Comment

"To establish the existance of a variation you only need 1 example "

Do you think that the existence of just one variation (or even a few) necessarily means that there was a different set of core dies that created it (them)?
                      George

Comment

I was exspecting that question : The deffination of : Variation .' It is different from something previous .' Every person may give a different answer to that . To me going by how they are made I like to refer to them as ' Types ' or die type . A die that had the temper removed - re-engraved/reworked - tempered and hardened to me is now a new die . Re-working a die I would think is a multi step and time involved process . If that what was done - it makes business sence to have a backup die . All the larger manufacturers had more than one core die .

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X