X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EKII Opinions

Hi,

Nice frosty EKII MM 113,.. I hope.

The "white bits" are paper dust black finish is 100%.

Cheers,
    David.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by David C; 01-28-2004, 08:22 AM.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Reverse
    Attached Files
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Nice cross
      Is it for sale ?

Peter Wiking
      Last edited by Peter Wiking; 01-28-2004, 07:12 AM.

Comment

It looks okay to me too. Is the maker mark in incuse relief?
        George

Comment

Peter:

Sorry it's staying with me for the time being.

George:

The MM is stamped into the ring. The numbers are formed in such a way that they are the same height as the ring. The area surrounding the numbers is low if that's what you mean?

Thanks guys,
          David.

Comment

David.
            Have you done something to it with a photo editor ?
            Its the black area that i think of. Still a very fine cross.

Peter Wiking

Comment

"The MM is stamped into the ring. The numbers are formed in such a way that they are the same height as the ring. The area surrounding the numbers is low if that's what you mean?"

Yep!
              George

Comment

Nope Peter daylight photos - cloudy day - cropped and resized for posting no editing at all. The specks are caused by paper dust from storage. What is it that you see?

David.

Comment

I see black color creeping up on the frame/beading.

Peter Wiking

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking
                    I see black color creeping up on the frame/beading.

Peter Wiking
                    Peter,

On closer inspection that is indeed the case. There is black colour around the inside edges of the frame, all the way around back and front. What does this mean? a repaint? if so it is superbly well done. There is no uneveness or pitting to the cross nice and smooth. Why would a cross with a very good frame need a core repaint? Has the frame been restored also? Or,... shock horror,... fakey breaky heart???

Cheers
                    David.

Comment

I have one Iron Cross 1 class with excelent frosted frame, but the core is spray painted with the frame in place. Paint is coming up on the frame just as it does on your cross.
                      I think they are original, but if repainted pre 1945 or post 1945 i dont know.

Peter Wiking

Comment

Peter,

Mine appears to have been spray painted also. mmm,... I hope some other folks can jump in here with similar examples. It looks too good to me to be a wrong un or am I being naïve.

David.

Comment

Here is my one. The core is more dry and raw than yours.

Peter Wiking
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking
                            Here is my one. The core is more dry and raw than yours.

Peter Wiking
                            Is this one maker marked Peter?

David.

Comment

Originally posted by David C
                              Is this one maker marked Peter?

David.
                              Yes. Its an L15 not L/15. I had this one posted a while back and people liked it.

Cheers.
                              Peter Wiking

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X