Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight Cross?

Hello
    what do you think? my friend found this cross in the market. this is marked micro 800

These aren't my forte, so I'd wait for the more conversed on S&L crosses, but to my eyes it dosen't tally to an original, no.

KR

Marcus

Comment

more pics

Comment

This MAY be a real S&L cross, but from it's "buffed-down" beading and overall poor condition, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to tell from these photos. One thing that is interesting is the curvature of the beading, when viewed from the side angle shots, which is characteristic of S&L crosses. The swastika and dates look very similar, but again worn down, and I honestly would be scared to say one way or the other without actually having it in my hands to study. Perhaps Dietrich will have a chance to look and perhaps he can see something I can't. It is certainly a "possible".
        Last edited by Leroy; 12-29-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Vickspike, Next time You post somthing PLEASE reduce the photo size!
          I wonder what is up with the scribe line in the frame that just so happens to line up under the .800 silver mark?
          Kevin

Comment

Good S&L,very,very worn ,battlefield found?

Comment

this is cross found for a farmer in south of Chile
              he found in for last 30 years ago or more ...........my english isn´t very good but I tried explain the best possible
              after war many germans arrived to south of Chile

Comment

If that cross could only talk......Im sure it must have been a deliberate attempt to be gotten rid of. Like you said many nazis hid in chile, bolivia, argentina urguay parguay, etc. A great find we all would like to come across, especially on a european battlefield , like belgium or france. Very nice item congratulations , and i would go detecting on his farm if i were you ...might be more things left to be found.

General manteuffel told a friend of mine his son disowned him after the war, and he grew up. He moved to south america, and shunned his father till the day he died. Stories like that make me wonder , what the circumstances may have been that precipitated the throwing away of this cross.
                15 years ago a man who was amish in pa. told me his brother had he and his other brother bury a large ammount of captured german medals on their farm he had taken during the war. He never gave me his name, but i have always dreamed of making such a discovery, even after 65 years. that cross is in fairly good shape for a ground dug, but again who knows how long it was in the field.(35 max) That farmer inspires us all to think of one day being the recipient of such a discovery. id never turn it loose if i found it....thanks for showing it here. Its the first ground found item ive seen that was really original.

Comment

I like it BUT I'm out of my area here,what do you more experianced guys think?

Comment

Wow!!! What a find! And in Chile of all places. I wonder who it could have belonged to or what the circumstances were behind its being tossed out?

Eddie

Comment

I concur with Leroy. It could be a god one but most of the identifying features are worn away. This one I would like to have in hand.

Dietrich
                      B&D PUBLISHING
                      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

I Think is a real S&L Knight Cross, The curves perfect match whit the originals S&L, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi

other pic

Comment

That would make it a dipping ring version,by the look of the remainder of the ring.. id say, would anybody agree. I do know they did wear dipping ring crosses during the period. Who the makers were that made em , i am not sure.
                            I believe its summer down there,while winter here. Am I right? I think its time to do some metal detecting around where this was originally found.
                            The farmer would still know. Maybe youll find a whole buried nazi? (hahah)
                            My grandpa was a farmer, and we found boxes of arrow heads on our farm after he would plow, and it rained. Just a thought. Let us know if you get lucky .
                            Appears like there is a scrape line around the front in spots also similar to the one under the 800. Possibly .....not justifying it , but possibly done...after found....I see scratches that seem to be from different implements on the face near the dates...on the edges something diffferent, possibly a knife? Just a guess.
                            Last edited by juoneen; 01-06-2010, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X