Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK2 Maker? Opinions?

Hello All,

Freed up some cash and am starting to purchase items again. This EK2 caught my eye because the luster on the frame is so astonishingly bright it takes on a rainbow hue, and while I've read about this, I've never owned one. The contrast with the frosted ribbing is a beautiful effect (my pictures don't do it justice).

With all this said, I have a concern about the core. The dates are so poorly defined, it makes me question the authenticity. The '1813' is almost flush with the top surface of the core.

It is 3-piece construction, the core is magnetic. It measures 44.17mm H x 44.00 mm W and weighs 19.3g.

Any idea of the maker and whether this is a keeper?

Thanks,

Erich
    Attached Files

Closeup
    Attached Files

Comment

Dates
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Erich,

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I think this cross is made from parts by S&L. Someone may be able to tell you the maker, but I think it unlikely. It's probably made by one of any number of companies that sourced their parts from S&L and did their own assembly and distribution. Walter & Henlein '109' is one such company, Alois Rettenmaier '16' is another. There are many more.

S&L, incidentally, acted in the same capacity for 1957 EKs: most 1957-series EKs assembled and sold by other companies and smaller jewelers used S&L parts.

As such, this cross is quite common. I personally find it unspectacular. As you said the core strike is weak, indicating probably that it was made later in the life of the die. Also, the core paint is up in the beading a bit. This could well have been done period, but it still looks sloppy to me.

If you are building a collection, you could do quite a bit better by waiting a bit. Maybe wait for a marked example? Gustav Brehmer '13' EK2s are, in my experience, probably the nicest in terms of overall quality: frame detail, core strike, assembly and final finish. I have an unmarked Brehmer that is probably the single finest 1939 EK I own. Almost any ring-marked example will sell better than an unmarked one if you choose to part with it down the road.

In short: I think it's authentic, but I'd wait.
        Best regards,
        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Correct ... a very worn 3rd frame and 2nd core S&L dies .... one of the sold parts crosses I would think too . Wait for something better .

Douglas

Comment

Thank you Douglas and Trevor for your comments. They are much appreciated.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X