S&L EK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L EK1

I purchased this recently from a local antique store. The cross appears to have the discussed die flaws to the arm in the 12 O clock position. The pin is marked 4. All opinions welcome.
    Attached Files

Hi,

the heavily discussed die flaw is only a matter of controversy with the S&l RK. Several EK1 frames exhibit flaws (which I think is "normal" considering the production numbers).

But it would be nice to see the flaw close up.

Dietrich
    B&D PUBLISHING
    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

That is a fine cross to me.

Peter Wiking

Comment

S&L Flaw

That is indeed a very fine cross!
        So that I understand this, a flaw is O.K. on an item that is heavily produced meaning that the die would wear out?

Doug

Comment

Yes, that's how I see it. Don't forget, the flaw is also a good indication for originality: It can't be faked. The S7L RK flaw is only so controversial since it is known that S&L produced RK after the war also.

Dietrich
          B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Hi , Thanks for the kind words about the cross. Here are some close ups of the flaw to the beading. Eric
            Attached Files

Comment

This is indeed a strange flaw since it is not straight. I remember seeing a flaw on one of Sebas Meybauer EK1 that was similiar but more straight. One thing is clear now: The notion that a piece of metal was causing the flaw on the S&L RK can be dismissed because this one clearly shows that it is not a piece of metal but a very serious defect in the die. S&L now has a track record for faulty dies, no doubt. I'm looking forward seeing more S&L EK1 with this flaw to establish a time line of the development.

Dietrich
              Attached Files
              B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

S&L Flaw

Yes this is strange.
                I'm now more of the opinion that it has something to do with the process,materials,finishing or operator than with the die.

Doug

Comment

Doug,

IMHO this is clearly a crack in the die.

Dietrich
                  B&D PUBLISHING

Comment

Hi

That is a great cross, even with such a heavy duty flaw.

Comment

It's a crack in the die, clearly. A piece of metal would have the opposite effect of causing a depression. Operators had little to no control as the press was set at so many kilos of pressure.

Comment

Here is the flaw in my #4, it is at 9 oclock
                        Attached Files
                        DaveJ

Comment

Classic die crack. Just from overuse. Dies probably designed for higher grade silver and then a much harder material used - crack.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X