VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWII-era replacement 1914 EKs, w/ 1939 tooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
    Hi Sal, yes, 1914 EK's were made during 1933 -1945 for purchase as replacements by WW1 Vets. You had to prove entitlement to buy one.
    Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade. How can you tell a TR era one from a WWII one?

Best, Sal

Comment

Hi Sal, the measurements are different. A 1914 EKI Third Reich era made example will measure 44mm. Ricky told me this when I first joined the forum many moons ago.
      Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by sal williams
        Thanks Ade. How can you tell a TR era one from a WWII one?

Best, Sal
        Also, the arms of the Third Reich era EKs are thicker than the WWI era crosses. Look at a picture of each side by side, and you can see the difference in the shape.

--Chris

Comment

a philosophical - kind of.. - question.

do i display my third reich era made 1914 cross with my 1914's or with
          my 1939's? i've already got it in my 1914 case, but technically it is a
          third reich phenomenon. any thoughts?

thanks, joe

Comment

Mine are with the 1914s as they are variations of those awards.
            George

Comment

Here is a post-1939 made replacement EK2 1914 mounted on a civilian tuxedo "Frackspange" medal bar next to the Prussian Hohenzollern House Order 3rd Class with Swords-- the "German Cross in Gold" of WW1.

The frame is 1939, not 1914 size, non-silver as the WW2s were, and the details of crown, cipher and date are horribly icky and lumpy.

I call this one "Beauty and the Beast!"
              Attached Files

Comment

I'd say there are probably dozens of post 1939 1914 EK 1s for every replacement 1914 EK2... because all those over the hill retreads were WEARING First Classes every single day... but nobody wore full dress medal bars much at all after 1940.

Why was there a market for replacement 1914 EK2s?

Check out THIS bar--- that is an original WW1 EK2 on there... but at some point the tiny suspension ring must have let go. This guy had a silver strip soldered across the entire top of the upper arm to save THIS cross... which probably MEANT something to him... a "keeper" that he went to all that bother for, rather than just order a new one from a retailer. Maybe the Kaiser personally handed him this one and took his paw in that little "two fingers gloved handshake" they used to do.
                Attached Files

Comment

He is another WWII made 1914 EK. This one has got a "800" silver mark which should be extremely rare in this period. It looks exactly like Brians cross above.
                  Attached Files

Comment

And here is one with the typically frosted frame:
                    Attached Files

Comment

rick-

the five place medal bar is SENSATIONAL! two questions:

1) was it constructed to be worn at the angle that you have it
                      photographed?

2)the EK being placed on the right hand side rather than the left-
                      does that mean anything? i was under the impression that the
                      ek took precedence over other orders, although i have certainly
                      seen ek's placed elsewhere besides the extreme left.

what were the conventions for this?

many thanks, joe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X