Deschler DKiG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deschler DKiG

Hello,I am considering buying this DK but know nothing about them.As you can see its been in the wars a bit,I've compared it to the Deschler DK's shown in Gordon Williamsons book and it seems ok but would value any opinions from you guys,many thanks,

Paul
    Attached Files

It looks like an okay Deschler to me.
    George

Comment

Dear Paul,

I agree with George's assessment that this DKiG appears to be a correct Deschler. Is that the recipient's name scratched into the back? Might be interesting to attempt to attribute this award to a known recipient... Of course difficult to say when this information was scratched into the reverse but on first glance it looks to have been done some time ago, so may well be the work of the original owner (recipient).

I always worry when people say..."I'm thinking of buying this...but I know nothing about them...". Not meant as a slight to you, as you are far from the only person to make this kind of statement on the forum, but personally...if I was making a purchase, especially one with a significant price tag attached, such as a DKiG I would really do my homework on the topic and absorb any and all available research on the award before even considering buying one.

Certainly, one can find educated and valued opinions from the many seasoned veterans here (such as George) but to me nothing replaces first hand experience and knowledge. Collecting by proxy opinion has always frightened me as no one collector is ever completely infallable, and besides at the end of the day the individual collector has to be happy, confident and satisfied with the additions he makes to his collection.

Not to be a killjoy...and I don't claim to be an "expert" in any of these areas...but you touched on an area that does give me cause for concern. I've certainly asked for opinions on quite a few of my acquisitions...but always try to do as much background research before making acquisitions. I'll fully admit to being somewhat paranoid since venturing back into the world of German militaria collecting, and a good dose of suspicion is, I think, healthy...

Just my humble opinion on this matter.

Cheers, and hope this nice award finds a good home with you.

Adam

Comment

Good words, Adam!
        George

Comment

DKiG

Thanks for the replies lads,I quite agree with what you are saying Adam and perhaps it was a bad choice of words on my part.I always do my homework on the pieces I want to purchase because I'm as paranoid as the next man about fakes and have made many mistakes.I'd like to purchase a DKiG but am aware they are heavily faked and that the Deschler fakes are particularly good.I'd certainly not shell out the money for one of these on a whim.I like the look of this particular piece and have posted it in case anyone more familiar with this subject can spot anything about it that causes concern.Which brings me nicely on to my next question(s).Is there a way of spotting a fake Deschler or conversly,spotting a real one?And,bearing in mind the fakes of this maker are so good,is it worth looking for one by another maker?Incidently,the name on the back is supposedly that of the original holder,an oberfeldwebel in 11 company of gebirgsjager regt 98.Thanks once again for taking the time to reply,

Paul

Comment

Hi,

this DK looks good to me, but pin looks reparied. I don't think is a good purchase for its conditions.....only if is very good the price.

ivan

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

It has condition issues yes, but perhaps an interesting recipient provided the name is period done.

Wilhelm Wineberger Ofw 11./Geb.Jg.Rgt 98 23.6.42

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X