No announcement yet.

Attributed U-Boat Knights Cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would agree but the ribbon looks hardly worn at all to me.

Comment

Brian, explain! The ribbon in threaded at the ends and the elastic is fully stretched..generally doesn't match the wear patterns of the cross and the 'scar' on the reverse SURELY doesn't doesn't do anything to undermine Brett's observation of NO wear on the upper area of the ring....
      I hope this doesn't get pissy...these are just observations and facts....and as we all know 60 years of stories can get a bit convouleted!
      Dave
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

The ribbon looks crispy. Not saying the elastic doesn't look stretched. Just doesn't have a lot of wear look to it which might explain the ring looking so fresh. U-boots were a hot ugly tight cramped space, if worn much I'd expect some sweat stains, even an officer sweats. Pissy?

You remember Patina?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Brian S; 12-04-2003, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Not meaning to start an argument but just interesting to note that the frame is 800 silver and yet after at least 8 months (8/44 - 4/45) of wear it hasn't worn away at the thin silver flashing in the eyelet. Considering the weight of an RK and assuming it was worn virtually daily for eight months this seems amazing. And what happened to the Oaks? Have they and the cross maybe been switched around while in the hands of a previous collector? The condition of the cross and the ribbon don't seem to match (at least to me anyway).
          No arguments please guys, just an observation on my behalf!

Regards,
          Brett

Comment

Gordon, thanks for sharing with us this nice, attributed piece. I can't see a U Boat commander wearing a closed necked uniform in as hot and cramped a place as a U Boat. I imagine he only wore it on leave, coming into port, etc.
            I just purchased a nice Soldbuch from Thomas after reading your recommendation on the Association forum. He seems to be a very nice, helpful and friendly person. I would purchase from him again in a heartbeat.
            I imagine he gets a lot of "first dibs" on Navy and U boat material considering where he is located!
            "Activity! Activity! Speed! I greet you."
            -Napoleon to Massena, advancing on Landshut, April 18, 1809

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Werner
              Gordon, thanks for sharing with us this nice, attributed piece. I can't see a U Boat commander wearing a closed necked uniform in as hot and cramped a place as a U Boat. I imagine he only wore it on leave, coming into port, etc.
              I just purchased a nice Soldbuch from Thomas after reading your recommendation on the Association forum. He seems to be a very nice, helpful and friendly person. I would purchase from him again in a heartbeat.
              I imagine he gets a lot of "first dibs" on Navy and U boat material considering where he is located!
              Chris, you are absolutely correct, U-Boat captains rarely ever wore their RKs at sea so I would expect in the main that an RK attributed to a U-Boat captain would not exhibit a lot of wear and tear.

Comment

It's a great looking RK. Makes perfect sense. That late in the war I'm sure they didn't surface any more than they had to, so I'd expect it to be unworn as I was hinting above.

Comment

I hate to be a tease! However, I received an explanation from the owner of the cross and am satisfied. Unfortunately, he has asked for my confidence regarding the pedigree of the cross.
                  Dave
                  Regards,
                  Dave

Comment

Great example of a Knights Cross,

I was actually hoping to write to Hans-Günther Lange, although I found out that he went blind about 3 years ago, so he is unable to correspond with historians.

Do you know who is in possession of his Oakleaves? As according to my research he was awarded them 29.04.1945

Best Regards
                    Phil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X