No announcement yet.

Cased EK1 Brass Core UM Juncker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice , and the sharp ridges indidicate the die may have been touched up . Any of the other 2 corners ?

Douglas
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike and Mark :
      After going over a few comparisons I can now say with absolute certainty that the cross pictured at the start is a touched up W&L Cross 2nd frame die with a 2nd core type . It is not a Juncker . The 2 pictures will show and prove why .
      Cross hatching alone is not enough in this case .

Regards Douglas
      Attached Files

Comment

And the W&L frame and core types :

Douglas
        Attached Files

Comment

Are W+L known to have produced brassies? Or is this a first?
          Best regards,
          Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

W&L did make and put out Tombak core EK1s , I have one .

Douglas

Comment

other corners Douglas
              Attached Files

Comment

last corner
                Attached Files

Comment

couple of bonus piccies outside corners of the top 12 oclock edge
                  Attached Files

Comment

lastly... Thanks Douglas for yor very indepth analysis
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is a very interesting topic and comparisons, and Mike - what a beautiful brass core cross

Comment

Thanks Mike : Yours is a late brass core in a touched up 2nd frame . The first one I have seen using the 2nd frame .The one I have is in the tighter 1st frame where the inside points touch the larger Swastika core . Do you know why the 2nd frame die had to be re-worked ?

Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                          Do you know why the 2nd frame die had to be re-worked ?

Douglas

no i dont? the old romantic probably says to me someone tried bombing it

This one the core is loose, probably helped by the slight vaulting. So its all W&L Juncker would have been nice but just more shopping to do

Thanks Douglas

Comment

Thats correct : it is only a W&L cross . Even so - on the other hand it turned out to be a frame variant with a harder to find brass core and the common 2nd paint type . A few of the early makers did start off/experiment with different types of paint .
                            The 2nd die started chipping badly and had to be re-worked .
                            A comparison of the thick 'creamy' paint on the top one to a heavy lead partical thinner paint on the bottom one .

Douglas
                            Attached Files

Comment

A Killer side by side comparison You have put together Here Douglas and much to be learned! Collectors worldwide are pulling their Juncker EKI's out for re examination! Wonder how many others will be found to be this type of W&L cross?
                              So Douglas.... When is the book due for release?
                              Great work!
                              Kevin

Comment

Kevin - I am not doing a book , ... just working on a project that involves the 2 makers Juncker and W&L and how and what identifies each . Much confusion still exist in identifying them . As the example above shows , ... true and simulated cross hatching etc ... but it is the other fine flaw details that tells us that it is a W&L die ! CFI - Cross Forensic Identification .

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X