Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KVK1X advice (again!)

Hi all,
    I'm on the brink of buying the 2 KVK1X's with and without swords. And, as ever, it's a minefield of fakes out there!
    I've re-read all the previous threads on the known fakes etc, and looked at enough pictures in books etc over the past months, that I can see them in my sleep! I've also tried to handle as many as I can.
    But, I can't seem to come to any solid conclusions. The past threads too.

I know there are some infamous maker-marked fakes of these awards, but what should I be looking for in un-marked pieces?
    I've heard about steering away from ones with too pronounced 'viens' on the leaves, but what about pin/catch construction? vaulting?
    Are there a loose set of rules to go by, without actually weighing the award?

I'm asking the advice of the experts out there. If you were confronted by a pile of these, and you were caught without your scales, and an unknown dealer, what would you be looking for?
    Any advice would be of great help.
    jon

Also, there was once talk of an essay about this being translated from french to english..was this ever done, and available to the forum?

Hello
    As for the essay which was mentioned in a previous topic, I don't think it was translated. However, if a fellow member provides me the article (published in the French magazine "Militaria") and authored by Mr Bertrand Malvaux, I will be glad to translate it for your info. I am nopt familiar with copyright laws but I am not sure that we can post the full tranlated articles in any other part of the WA site than in the forum. Am I right ?
    For the KVK itself, try to retrieve the more pics depicting known versions as possible to constitute a reference library.
    In any way, your way of doing (reading, searching info, asking for fellow members) is the good one.
    Regards
    Denis

Comment

Denis

I might have this article at home. I'll have a look after work and if I've got it I'll scan it for you.

Rich
      Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
      Decorations of Germany

Comment

Sorry, but I have the article, but my PC refuses to acknowledge that there is a scanner connected to it, so I can't provide a pic.

The basics of the article is the repro is too thick and the maker marks in the wrong style, and the style of the hinge/pin/catch is wrong.

It highlights the KVK1X, KVK1, EK1Spange and EK1

Maybe if I kick the PC hard enough, the scanner will spring to life?

Rich
        Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Rich, Do it with the keyboard, this will be helpful !
          More seriously, I will have the opportunity this week end to retrieve the article. I will try not to forget it and try to translate it for you.
          Regards
          Denis

Comment

Hello
            Mike K has kindly sent me the scan of the article. I have contacted Mr Bertrand Malvaux who authored this article several years ago to ensure that he has no objection to see his article translated and he agreed.
            So I will do it. The translation sould be available on next tuesday.
            Regards
            Denis

Comment

Yeah, give it a go,
              Sounds like something we could all do with reading...
              thanks
              jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X