Fake Iron Cross 2nd Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Iron Cross 2nd Class

Just for your info (I am sure that this has been covered many times before) but I recently aquired this fake Iron Cross 2nd Class makers mark "333". A similar one was being sold on Ebay last week and despite me pointing out to the seller it was a repro it was still sold as "original". Just to assist for future reference for those of us like myself that are still learning by our mistakes.

Points on this: The cross is of a three piece construction with a magnetic centre section. The "333" marked on ring is dead give away. But I have seen another fake that had had the makers mark removed. Ring is 130mm in diameter which is smaller than standard ring sizes.

Cross measures 44mm diameter but there is a noticeable gap between the swastika and the inner rim on the lower right area of swastika. Also the swastika and dates do not have the depth of the originals and the paint is a very chalky matt black finish.

The silver rim turns a golden hue with age which I have never seen on originals.

On the right obverse arm of the cross on the silver beading there is a faulty die mark which leaves a broken line on the beading.

Hope this helps and sorry if it has been covered before. But it would have helped me some time back and they are still appearing and being sold on ebay as originals.

What would be the costs of making such a fake? Seems to be a waste on an EK2.
    Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Thanks for the info Macmedal.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X