No announcement yet.

Oaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the "o" stamp, by consensus anyway, is a "position marker" used by workers to be able to tell the location of "down" on the reverse of a piece, so they would know where an attachment should go (in this case, so they would know that the bottom curvature of the loop would be placed correctly). This was once thought to be an S&L indicator, but the mark is also found on other pieces. Nothing to do, really, with Juncker.

Again, this is an S&L type set of Oakleaves, detectable by the shape of the curved line next to the righthand set of leaves and also by the flaw between the line and the second inboard leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich Maerz View Post
      I would pay maybe $ 50.- or so.
      I would be more generous than Dietrich!

Comment

Im curious about the same mark.

Comment

Adrian Forman sells – or at least used to sell – OLs and OLs with swords like these, as originals. Personally I would today not buy any OLs but the textbook 21 and L/50.

Comment

To me it isn't even an original S&L but a casting of one.

Rich
            Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
            Decorations of Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon View Post
              To me it isn't even an original S&L but a casting of one.

Rich
              Even worse!

Comment

Now heres a question: are oakleaves ever cast, or are they strictly only die struck, as i understand the swords are cast, and then sweated to the oakleaves for the O&S versions. I think its strange how the oxidation is uneven on the front, and back, so it appears almost like someone held it over a candle or something, or maybe thats a chemical used to darken silver??. Seems the oxidation would be even, and all consistant across the whole piece. Im not saying they are not original, just that the oxidation looks wierd.

Comment

Original Oaks are, I believe, always die-struck (including the wartime S&L and Juncker versions). I see the line around the edge in Post #11, but can't tell if that is a casting line or a die artifact. The "step" is so dramatic on the right side that it is hard (for me at least) to say this particular piece, from these photographs, is cast. The surface texture looks pretty typical to me, and the tarnish is in patterns which can be normally seen with frosted pieces. Better photos would tell more (as would weight and dimensions).

Comment

Hi,
                    Ive got a set of these oaks but they didnt oxidise like this set.I think the dark areas are due to an undercoat showing thru.
                    Also it differs from mine as has been said in that it appears to have been cast. Look at the bottom left side on picture 11.There is a clear mold line,well defined by the remaining frosting.
                    Cheers

Comment

I certainly don't want to get bogged down defending this particulatr set of Oakleaves, which might indeed be cast! Take a look at Post #7, at the right side. Are those casting line flaws or die step marks? I honestly can't tell from these photos.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X