EK11 - are these legit mfr flaws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK11 - are these legit mfr flaws?

Recently acquired unmarked EK11 which looks good in hand. Under loop, there are several things I need some experienced input. The cross is magnetic.
    Obverse: lower left bead there is a flaw next to 1939 that appears to be an incomplete stamping cut of the bead die.
    Reverse: especially noticeable open seam across both upper arm beads and lower right arm bead along with weaker signs of seam-ing in other parts of the beading.
    First impression is fake but could this also be a legit mfrg flaw?
    Thanks up front for your help and I hope it provides some points of interest.
    van
    Attached Files

gg

nn
    Attached Files

Comment

kk

yy
      Attached Files

Comment

uu

yy
        Attached Files

Comment

It is an original cross and it looks like an S&L first type frame (Douglas will correct me I'm sure. )
          I've never seen such a flawed cross with the open cracks on the beading. It would be good to see some closer shots if possible?

Comment

Not to contradict you, Adrian, but if the dies themselves were cracked wouldn't the broken lines in the beading of the cross be solid? I'm just presuming this based upon what we see in other bead flaws. Perhaps the cracks occurred post assembly...?

Comment

Sorry Robert, I should have been slightly clearer, I've never seen an EK with open cracks on the beading.
              I didn't mean to make it sound as if it was flawed due to the dies as of course you would be correct in saying there would be solid lines as opposed to cracks.

Comment

It looks like someone stepped on it, or something on that order...

Comment

EK flaw closeups

Thanks, Adrian and Robert, for your help. Here are a couple of closeups of the 2 types of flaws. It does not appear that the cross was stepped on nor are the these cracks solid lines tho there are a couple of faint spots on the obverse where it does appear to be a solid line seam.
                  Attached Files

Comment

tt

hh
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good photo. All I can think now after seeing the photo is perhaps there were internal stresses that over time finally overcame the metal. Very unusual.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X