Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK with repainted core

Hello.

I have an EK1 with what I believe is a repainted core. I'd like to see if I can strip the paint off, but I have a few questions for anyone who has any experience with this:

How can I best strip the paint without damaging the cross?
    Is it possible to strip off the "new" paint, but leave the "original" paint intact?
    If not, what am I likely to find underneath? What color? Finish?

I believe the core to be iron. I have no idea when the core was repainted.
    I really appreciate any insights and advice.

~Trevor
    Best regards,
    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

I have a 1914 EK 1with a repainted core that looked horrible. I took the old paint off with acetone. Here's what it looked like before I worked on it.
    Attached Files
    George

Comment

I just carefully daubed the acetone on with a Q-tip. Since the cross looked so bad to begin with, I wasn't too worried about what I might do to it. Still, after a few cleaning applications it looked like this. (It didn't seem like more applications of the acetone would do much more to the core, so I stopped.) I was pretty happy with the result.
      Attached Files
      George

Comment

I can never under stand why some people paint medals in the 1st place for me the more wear and that I been there look about it the better for me

Comment

Originally posted by derrydingle View Post
          I can never under stand why some people paint medals in the 1st place for me the more wear and that I been there look about it the better for me
          We had this discussion a couple of years agi and i was of the opinion that :
          Say some old veteran is going to a parade , he digs out the uniform all ironed and stored from last time . Gets out the shoes , a bit of spit and polish , out with the medals , and guess what . The paints all messsed up and rubbing away, seems a shame it lets the whole kit down .
          So , i would assume he would improvise with some PERIOD paint and do what seemed right at the time. Give it a frreshen up .
          Just one of the many reasone we came up with but totally feasable .
          On the other hand , some numpty tried to make it look nicer and failed miserably. And in the process destroys a piece of history .
          Mark

Comment

Look at that beading... its almost completely worn off.

Comment

"Look at that beading... its almost completely worn off. "

But not by me. It was like that when I got it. And I got it because the reverse looks like this:
              Attached Files
              George

Comment

Catch close-up.
                Attached Files
                George

Comment

A very cool cross. I didnt mean it was worn down by you i mean, its a well worn cross. Never seen a beading almost completely gone like that.

Comment

Here's the cross in question. A "KO" marked pinback. Touched up at least once, in my opinion.

The back, just for reference sake:

Moderators: I realize I posted this in the wrong section, athough the information is just as useful to TR collectors, I'd imagine (<-- and I'm one, too). Also, I think I have a repainted TR EK which I will post here if I can find it. However, if the thread is best moved, please do so.
                    Best regards,
                    Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X