Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a 43, but I think it might be heavily polished on the front

Comment

I have (2) '43's in my collection. The only difference is mine have swords. I put them in vernier calipers and the points are near perfect. I would expect the crosses without swords to be of the same high quality, but I have nothing to work with to prove this. The hardware on your cross is spot-on for Bauer, so it would be good to find another with uneven points for confirmation, hopefully a stamped version. I don't want to sound pesimistic, but I would expect to find the points on your cross to be near perfect like mine with swords. I don't think I'm asking too much from a TR-period award in saying this.

Comment

Shown here is the quality/uniformity of the points....

The cross is an unmarked Bauer '43'.
        Attached Files

Comment

This looks to be another '43' w/o swords...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/war_...ss/1_class.htm

Comment

Robert,

Excellent work and research i actually came across your beautiful crosses while i was trying to do some research on this piece. Though i do not have a caliper with me, i wouldn't say that the length is uneven, i would say that as some of the other 43's it seems to be slightly lopsided. In the caliper, with the top Left seeming to be a slightly longer and the bottom right, it would almost slant it a bit and make the entire cross flat on the bottom and top. If that makes any sense at all. These threads were particularly interesting to me.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=332942

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...us+bauer+sohne

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...us+bauer+sohne

They all seem to have the same sort of issues. This, of course, is after carefully looking at mine in hand comparatively. Perhaps better pictures are needed? But, these certainly helped me feel better about it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Comment

Well, Jeremiah, I don't honestly know how to judge a lopsided, yet square, cross. I know there have been some EKII's posted here with the same characteristics. The Paulmann & Crone comes to mind, for one. I have (2) of these. Their finish frame trimmer was really screwy, arms out of square. But, your cross was die forged. So, I'm at a loss. Like everyone has stated, the hardware looks typical '43'. You're getting positive feedback from the members, and I'm hung up on one or two of the arm points being too long or short, which could be typical for the '43' cross without swords.

Comment

Robert,

I want to thank you for working through this with me. I am still new and learning. Hopefully i can get my hands on a caliper later in the week and get a few pictures for our review. In my opinion, it looks similar in stature to others that i have reviewed here, but perhaps we can get to the bottom of this by see how "square" this on is. I will try to post the information as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Jeremiah

Comment

This will be a surprise to hear - Julius Bauer & Sohne is not even on the KVKI w/o swords manufactureres list. Just his KVKI w/swords is. I don't really know how accurate this list is, but it was posted on the forum. ???

The (6) that are listed (w/o swds) are:
                  1. S&L
                  2. F. Orth
                  3. Deumer
                  4. Otto Schickle
                  5. Foerster & Barth
                  6. Karl Gschiermeister

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X