Need opinion, my first kvk1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinion, my first kvk1

I just started collecting and this is one of my first items.

There are no markings on this kvk1 so I would like to hear your opinion.

Thanks!
    <iframe scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:240px;height:66px;margin:3px;padding: 0;border:1px solid #dde5e9;background-color:#ffffff;" src="http://cid-6887d77145c50337.skydrive.live.com/embedrowdetail.aspx/KVK1/1.JPG"></iframe>

<iframe scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:240px;height:66px;margin:3px;padding: 0;border:1px solid #dde5e9;background-color:#ffffff;" src="http://cid-6887d77145c50337.skydrive.live.com/embedrowdetail.aspx/KVK1/3.JPG"></iframe>
    <iframe scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:240px;height:66px;margin:3px;padding: 0;border:1px solid #dde5e9;background-color:#ffffff;" src="http://cid-6887d77145c50337.skydrive.live.com/embedrowdetail.aspx/KVK1/2.JPG"></iframe>

IMO, it looks like an unmarked Deschler.

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
      IMO, it looks like an unmarked Deschler.
      Hello and Welcome to WAF.

I agree with Robert. That one looks like a Deschler to me as well.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Thanks for the input.
        I'm just getting start and still looking for tips.

How can you tell with out any markings?

What do you look for?

Comment

Hello,

With different awards there are different known characteristics. For me it's the reverse hardware that leads me to think Deschler on this one.

If you have not already done so you should familiarize yourself with the "search" feature. Particularly the "Advanced" type. It will reveal examples to compare with.

I don't mean to discourage you from asking questions though. I'm just letting you know of this other learning tool.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Like Stu said, you learn the makers by identifying the different maker's badge characteristics. One maker will use a different pin assembly, a different sword grip design, and so on. You'll learn, one piece at a time. Gordon Williamson put out a book on the KVK, a good tool for identifying the makers. The very best way is to collect more of the original badges, one maker at a time, studying and comparing them as you go along.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

This site has so much info I feel a little overwhelmed

Comment

Yes, there is a lot to learn, so try to keep it at one type of award at a time - learn about the KVK before going on to the EK ect, or it get's confusing. You made a good start by joining this forum ( some dealers out there hate us ) but it's not good to collect in isolation. Also, a few reference works on the subject is money well spent.

If you are buying from an online dealer you do not know, type the website name into the search faclilty - you might find it mentioned here somewhere. If not, just ask.

Remember that ALL THIRD REICH ITEMS HAVE BEEN COPIED OR FAKED AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. This means that repos that were never made to fool anyone sometimes slip in to the market as originals. A good example would be post war Souval awards.

One more thing - if the dealer or seller has a nice story about the origin of an award, disregard it unless there is written proof - it may well be that the story is true, but never let it sway you into buying an item you are not sure about.

Good Luck.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X