I.D. maker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I.D. maker question

Just a quickie....... Is maker number 7 Paul Meyhauer or Paul Meybauer.

I have found both names in different ref works and online lists.

Thanks.

Paul Meybauer

Regards

Daniel
    Regards
    Daniel

Search:
    !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
    Otto Schickle
    All early 57er pieces

Comment

For your reference L/13 is also Meybauer.

Comment

Thank you both. I always thought it was MEYBAUER, but several times recently I have seen it spelled MEYHAUER.

Comment

Originally posted by reichenberg View Post
          Thank you both. I always thought it was MEYBAUER, but several times recently I have seen it spelled MEYHAUER.
          Meybauer being my Favorite maker! Like a Vulture I sweep in!!! Do you have a nice 7 marked cross to show us? I would love to see it as would the others!
          Kevin

Comment

Hi Weisner. I have just purchased an EKII No. 7 from this dealer. I have posted a link to his site, as posting links to individual items dosn't seem to work most of the time.

http://www.3rdreichburiedtreasures.com/shop/shop.php

Also, he says it will clean up...... BUT, to clean or not to clean? My instinct is to leave it alone, but they do clean up well with nothing more than a light rub with a soft dry cloth.

I am trying for one of each EKIIs ringstamed '1' to '10' Must be stamped, so no early pieces even if the maker is known. I am looking for a '1' and a '2'.

Comment

Hi Weisner. I have just purchased an EKII No. 7 from this dealer. I have posted a link to his site, as posting links to individual items dosn't seem to work most of the time.

http://www.3rdreichburiedtreasures.com/shop/shop.php

Also, he says it will clean up...... BUT, to clean or not to clean? My instinct is to leave it alone, but they do clean up well with nothing more than a light rub with a soft dry cloth.

I am trying for one of each EKIIs ringstamed '1' to '10' Must be stamped, so no early pieces even if the maker is known. I am looking for a '1' and a '2'.
              Don't continue looking for neither "2" nor "5", "8", "9" or "10".. Cause if you find them, they are bound to be fake or post war stamped.. Here's a good thread with a list of known EK II-makers that maker marked their crosses that I've bookmarked:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=311459

Best regards,
              Last edited by Friedrich; 02-13-2009, 03:10 PM. Reason: to be perfectly clear

Comment

Well, we live and learn! Quite surprised that there are no '2s'. Oh well, just have to concentrate on finding that elusive Deschler EKII I guess. Are they hard to come by?

Comment

They shouldn't be that hard to come by, but it took me quite some time to come across a "1" marked Deschler that wasn't already sold when I found it..

About "2" or C.E. Juncker, crosses from this manufacturer can actually be found marked, but only with the LDO "L/12" mark on the cross itself, not on the ring..

Comment

My Advice for what it is worth! DO not clean this Ek or any Ek for that matter!!!!
                    Kevin

Comment

Thanks guys. So, my search for a '1' or a L/12 continues, but it's nice to have goals to aim for - makes the hobby more interesting.

About cleaning medals - I know and agree that most people would react with horror at the thought of it, but none other than Gordon Williamson suggests methods of cleaning EKs in his book 'The Iron Cross, a History 1813-1957' and admits to having done so himself. I'm not suggesting cleaning the silver frame, but removing any build up of dirt from around the inside of the iron core, around the dates ect. Still, as you say, it's probably best left alone.

Comment

About cleaning medals - I know and agree that most people would react with horror at the thought of it, but none other than Gordon Williamson suggests methods of cleaning EKs in his book 'The Iron Cross, a History 1813-1957' and admits to having done so himself. I'm not suggesting cleaning the silver frame, but removing any build up of dirt from around the inside of the iron core, around the dates ect. Still, as you say, it's probably best left alone.
                        I don't see anything wrong with removing the dust and grime from an EK but not if it compromises the paint or will damage it in anyway. If you do use the soapy water method please make sure you do dry the cross and don't leave any moisture trapped under the beading.

Comment

I agree with Adrian , when i have cleaned some of mine in soapy water i always get the wife's hairdryer on it & give it a real good going over , with some that are just abit dusty i use a good quality soft haired blusher brush that the wife bought me especially for this job

Comment

Originally posted by baldy1939 View Post
                            the wife's hairdryer

a good quality soft haired blusher brush that the wife bought me
                            Are you sure about this Mark.......?

Comment

Caution : .. cleaning very carefully any cross . Lets not forget the age and old paint is not water proof . Water can get under the paint . Do not submerge or have pooling water on it !
                              Rather take a damp Q-tip and clean the dirt spot only . And if using a hair dryer at all very ... low heat . Early or late war made cores and paint do not adhear well . A sudden extreme temperatur different creates sudden exspantion of both media at very different rates , causing high surface tention between both mediums(paint-metal) , which could result in bubling, chipping and gradualy flaking later on !!!

Just regards the Juncker markings ; L/12 is the most common Juncker marking found - on EK2s - EK1s and Knight Crosses . And the "2" as the ' Lazy 2 ' was used on Knight Crosses . Exstrem rare to find on EK 2s . ...99.99% are fake post war markings as mentioned befor .

Douglas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X