Rommel's KC, oakleaves, swords, diamonds and PLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rommel's KC, oakleaves, swords, diamonds and PLM

For those who have the opportunity to go to Stuttgart don't miss the opportunity to see Rommel's following awards:
    - PLM (a real one which has seen action and not a shelf jewel)
    - knight's cross
    - swords
    - oakleaves
    - diamonds

The mappe for the diamonds is also there and I was very surprised to see that its cover has been denazified.

Other items (leather coat, AK jacket, WWI coat and cap, pictures, Fieldmarshall baton,....) which belonged to Rommel can also be seen till end of August 2009. Sorry to be unable to provide some pictures but I had no camera with me when I visited it.

Pierre

Pierre,
    Where in Stuttgart is it?

Regards,
    AB.
    In memory of my Uncle,
    Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
    2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
    Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

Yes, please post the location. I will be there in March and I would hate to be so close and miss this!

Comment

The Rommel exhibition is in the Haus der Geschichte in Stuttgart. See following link:

http://www.hdgbw.de/ausstellungen/we...mythos-rommel/

In the Alten Schloss -also in Stuttgart- is a remembrance exhibition on the 20 July 1944 bomb plot: Stauffenberg and Berthold:

http://www.hdgbw.de/ausstellungen/de.../stauffenberg/
        "Wir Deutschen fürchten Gott und sonst nichts auf der Welt " BISMARCK

Comment

Unfortunately, I will never be able to go there by August 2009, but if any members do go - please take pictures and post them. I would love to see Rommel's awards. Thanks. -Ger

Comment

I used to live in Stuttgart and have met Oberburgermeister Manfred Rommel who is a very nice fellow, and of course I have always followed news reports about anything to do with the Rommel family. I vividly recall reading a news account some years ago about Rommel's KC, PLM, cap, and other items having been stolen from where they were on permanent display on the top floor of some Rathaus or some other such location.

Does anyone else remember this?

If they do remember my question is; Are these items original replacements from the family, or are they simply replacements of unknown origin?

Chuck

Comment

stolen or not, He probably had an extra set of medals and uniforms

Comment

An interesting award was missing in this display: his P/O badge in gold and diamonds. One of the stolen awards?

Pierre

Comment

I will go to Stutgart fair in April. I hope that I'll still be able to see this. Untill when is it avaleable to see them.

Comment

I was at the exhibition today and can only recommend it! Very, very good.

One thing which was interesting for me: the Knights Cross with the Diamonds is a late (flawed at 3 o'clock) A-Type S&L - quite fresh, no ribbon. Maybe the one which was used for the funeral pillow?!

The cross pictures in the catalog of the exhibition is a Juncker. That fits perfectly to the award date of 1940.
                    B&D PUBLISHING
                    Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Dietrich,

Were the diamonds the platinum or silver type?

Thank you,
                      Bob Hritz
                      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hi Bob,

I would say the Silver type!

Dietrich
                        B&D PUBLISHING
                        Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Any photos of it guys ? Would be great to see it...

regards, Les.

Comment

I'm not sure this photo is from this particular exhibition, but I believe these are Rommel's Diamonds, as posted on another forum by "ek-hans". Because of the lack of tarnish, I THINK they may be platinum. The cross certainly appears to be a Juncker.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Leroy; 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

That's a bit off topic but at the last weekend I visited the southern front of the first worldwar. The picture below shows the mountain where Rommel earned the PLM by taking about 8000 prisoners with his company. That gives the dusty medals in the showcase a little bit history.
                              regards,

Stefan
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X