Pertinant question about striking dies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pertinant question about striking dies.

I know that the thread about the S&L Kcs has been closed. I missed out on commenting and was going to let the issue cool down. But I have a question that lingers for a technical answer.

Could the various stages of this die flaw evident on the KC beading be different at times because of some residual frame material that may have sheared off during the strike and stuck in the crack? The next frame struck would show a lesser degree of fault as the crack would already be partially filled.

I was thinking about this as a possibility. I have mint grade coins from the same mint roll with the impression of lint or threads that stuck to the die when the operator wiped it down with a cloth during the minting process. These coins are completely uncirculated and clearly show the imprint of the thread on the surface of the coin.

Why couldn't a partially filled die give varying degrees of impression?

Not looking for any BS here just some further thoughts.

Tony
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

I think that this is an interesting theory the S& K arguement aside I have seen other original EK2's with similar type die flaws to the beading.

Does this mean the dies were cracking up or does it mean in that particular production run debris was in the dies that caused those marks.

After all the image that S & K would be producing thousands of frames for RK's seems a bit far fetched as the demand for issue as one of a few companies producing them would just not be there. Is it more likely that the frames were produced in limited production runs as and when required when stocks ran low. If such a piece of debris was in such a production run could this be the answer ? Again the surplus stock being kept and used later in 1957 restrikes and when they had run out another production run started and this time the die being cleaned.

Not being an engineer I would like to know is this possible ?? Or is it fancifull specualtion that is

Also how many frames could be produced in one days production ??

Comment

The flaws in the S&L Ritterkreuz are added material between the beading. This can only be caused by a recess in the die, i.e. everything that has no material in the die (negative) creates material in the product (positive). It was a crack in the die. Debris in the form or die would create missing material in the final product. A hair in the die, for instance, would show up as a recessed line in the product.
      B&D PUBLISHING
      Premium Books from Collectors for Collectors

Comment

Originally posted by Dietrich
        The flaws in the S&L Ritterkreuz are added material between the beading. This can only be caused by a recess in the die, i.e. everything that has no material in the die (negative) creates material in the product (positive). It was a crack in the die. Debris in the form or die would create missing material in the final product. A hair in the die, for instance, would show up as a recessed line in the product.
        I understand about the recessed line from something on the surface of the die. But what about a die crack that could be partially filled with some impacted material from remaining from a frame strike? The flaw is fairly small and varies in definition. A partially filled crack wouldn't create missing features in the finished strike. Just the opposite, a varying line.
        Think about it for a bit. Seems to make sense.

Tony

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X