EK fake raises it's head again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EK fake raises it's head again

There's a fake that has been circulating for some time now that I wanted to make the community aware of, the younger collector community inparticular. This time it hit the e-stand, and the seller, being new, didn't know it from an original. He's done the right thing and removed it, and his attitude was outstanding. The workmanship on the frame is very crude, the outside corner beading and bead step, junk. The inside corner beading adjacent the swasi just as bad, with broken beads everywhere. The swasi is very low profile, and the paint is always glossy and artificially worn-looking. It is stamped with plenty of numbers: 16,18, 84 and 113. The core rattles. The ribbon ring is found both soldered (closed) and open. It is often mistaken for the wide-framed '24' because of it's wide flanges. Here are some photos...
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

circled are the broken beads which are a very quick reference for identification...
      Attached Files

Comment

Robert,
        Thanks for posting this. As "older guys" here we often forget about the younger collectors comming on board. We just assume that because this type of fake has been around for sometime that everyone knows it. Not the case as we see quite often time to time. Mind you, not just here on the crosses forum but the other forums as well. Good work.

Chet
        Zinc stinks!

Comment

Thanks Chet,

I came across this cross months ago advertised on a sales page, marked as a '113'. The dealer sent it to me, and I pondered it for some time comparing it to my original '113' EKII. The mm stamp bothered me; it was so much like the original. Here it is...fake on top, original on bottom...

For some reason it's not allowing my photo to open...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by robert pierce; 11-19-2008, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Let's try it in a new window...
            Attached Files

Comment

For some reason it's not letting me go advanced to even omit the photo. Here's just the fake mm...
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow thanks for the heads up Robert!! Very good of you to get this info out to members like me. I learn something new here every day it seems

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                  For some reason it's not letting me go advanced to even omit the photo. Here's just the fake mm...

Robert, try reducing the file name length. I think you have too many characters. It has happened to me before as well.

Comment

I concur with the comments about the seller, he stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. I commented on the cross as I knew I had seen this type before but couldn't find it to be sure. On this occasion the faker had actually stamped a wide frame fake with the 'correct' wide frame makers mark '24', albeit the wrong type of stamp for this maker.
                    I hope the seller will post the cross in question on this thread for all to see and learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell View Post
                      Robert, try reducing the file name length. I think you have too many characters. It has happened to me before as well.
                      Thanks Darrell,

Here's a try....original mm on bottom...

Look how clever they're getting at mm's...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Robert,
                        Although "16" and "84"-marked EK 2 fakes are already presented in the EK 2 Fakes Gallery, could you post your pics there as well? And the pics of the "113" marks? Thanks!
                        George

Comment

Will do, George.

Comment

Thanks for posting the rather convincing looking fake! At a quick glance this would have me fooled for certain! And perhaps for some time later!!!
                            And mixing up the maker marks makes it all the harder to keep track of these!
                            Kevin

Comment

Hi Kevin!

To my knowledge there are currently four (though this number could be way off) more numbered crosses that use this particular frame design. Of the four, three use this core instead....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X