Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L Oakleaves

Hi,
    Ive posted a couple of pics for the more expert than me to check out.This is my latest aquisition.The frosting was acid etched and it has the die fault to the right of the middle leaf.What do you think?
    Cheers
    Attached Files

another
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it has been melted.

Comment

I'm not an expert on oaks in general, and know even less about S&L oaks...
        But these seem to lack the quality of a wartime-original.

Might be an S&L postwar-production at best.

Best regards,
        Ben

Comment

Hi,
          Ive got another set of S&L swords and oaks that are post war and pre 57.(The swords backs are detailed.)
          The frosting on these has been painted on and I doubt that acid etching was used post war.Just my opinion.
          Cheers

Comment

Franco, acid-etching is so extremely easy, why not on postwar pieces?

it's quicker, cheaper and more convincing hen to paint it.....

Best regards,
            Ben

Comment

Hi,
              It was the practice rather than the difficulty that I had in mind.Ive got half a dozen post war S&L oaks covering several decades and this is the only one with acid etching.Hence my conclusion.
              Cheers

Comment

Well, as I already said, I know very little about these.

But then again, the quality is not what I would expect on a wartime piece.

Best regards,
                Ben

Comment

Look's like a Souval post war production.

Regards

Daniel
                  Regards
                  Daniel

Search:
                  !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
                  Otto Schickle
                  All early 57er pieces

Comment

Hi,
                    The problem with the Souval suggestion is that their pieces didnt have the die flaw.
                    It can only be found on war time S&L oaks.After the war it was repaired and traces of that repair can be seen on all subsequent oaks.
                    I agree that the quality is nowhere near that of a Godet piece,but for an S&L its not bad.Anyone who was awarded an S&L set drew the short straw in my opinion.
                    Cheers

Comment

Based SOLELY on what I see in the photos, I believe that this is either a cast copy of the S&L Oakleaves or a very late production piece (as in the '70's or later) based on the general appearance of the piece and the specific appearance of the "O" on the back. In my personal experience, having owned several early sets of these, the "O" is more "crisp", as is the detail on the front.

I don't know about the acid etching. The pieces I have had were nicely frosted and burnished, although I understand later pieces were not.

An "in-hand" look or better photos might make me feel differently.

Comment

Fake.

Comment

Hi,
                          To answere Leroy,s point;I know its not a late piece because I have them from the 70s 80s & 90s.I disagree with Ludwig and think that this was a left over piece that was finished after the war to be sold as a souvenir.Hence the lack of quality.
                          Cheers

Comment

So why do you ask?

Comment

Hi,
                              I state what I think about an object like this.Unlike some of the people here I dont write books and Im not an authority on awards.
                              What others have to say is of interest to me and sometimes it helps to make up my mind about an item.
                              In this case thats whats happened and I now think Ive solved the mystery of these oaks.
                              Cheers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X