Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knight's Cross in auction

Hi Guys,

I have just received the latest auction list from our local militaria auction house, (I.S. Wright's of Ballarat, Australia), which has an RK up for grabs, so I thought I would mention it, the sale is #626, and it closes on the 29th of October. Item #3005. "German WW2 Cased Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. Black matt finish to the magnetic iron centre. The '1813' date on the reverse lower arm of this cross is not as sharply defined as on the majority of Knight's Crosses. Silver frame stamped '800'. Original neck ribbon with ties. Black leatherette case with some scuff marks. White padded satin lining to the interior of the lid. Satin lining torn over the hinge section. Black flocking to the fitted base. This actual cross and case are pictured in Gordon Williamson's book, "The Iron Cross of 1939", page 279, with a further mention on pages 337-338, regarding this style of cross. It is also pictured and described in his privately printed book, "Collector's Guide to the Knight's Cross of the iron Cross". Both publications are included with this cross as well as a guarantee of authenticity from Jamie Cross UK dealer in original British and Third Reich medals in which he gives a history of it's acquisition. Minimum bid Aust $12,000.00."

The above description is from the catalogue, I am not trying to flog their wares for them, just found the description interesting, and should anyone want to see some photos (in colour) from the back page of the catalogue, PM me and I will send them through, as I can't post photos here at this time.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob, its a KC I would avoid buying myself though I'm no expert when it comes to Knights Crosses.
    Regards
    Steiner63

Comment

Yep, that is my thoughts on it too, I do think it is worthy of 'further discussion'.

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,
        I was shown this same cross by I.S.Wright and asked an opinion on it earlier this year. The '1813' on the back is indeed very poorly made. No sharpness to it and low. I believe its the same one discussed here.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...K+dipping+ring

Regards,
        AB.
        In memory of my Uncle,
        Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
        2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
        Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

I thought it sounded like the same cross from that earlier discussion, wonder how this suspect KC ended up over here in Oz and for sale by a respected firm such as I.S. Wright.
          Regards
          Steiner63

Comment

Originally posted by Steiner63 View Post
            I thought it sounded like the same cross from that earlier discussion, wonder how this suspect KC ended up over here in Oz and for sale by a respected firm such as I.S. Wright.
            Regards
            Steiner63
            I don't know but I do know it's on consignment.

Regards,
            AB.
            In memory of my Uncle,
            Schtz.Grenadier KARL HOFBAUER,
            2 Kompanie, Inf-Bat, 550.
            Killed in action, Krasnoje, Minsk, 7. Nov. 1942.

Comment

Thanks for the link Andrew, yup it is the same one indeed !!

Bob

Comment

Stay away from I.S Wrights...they dont really know there stuff... I personally would never buy anything from them.

Best regards, Les.

Comment

Originally posted by ApathyL View Post
                  Stay away from I.S Wrights...they dont really know there stuff... I personally would never buy anything from them.

Best regards, Les.
                  Up until about three years ago I.S Wright was almost my only source of British and German medals. I was told fairly recently that it was "buyer beware" as far as Third Reich medals and badges from them goes. Having this KC up for sale probably wont help that reputation.
                  Regards
                  Steiner63

Comment

Its not just the quality of their stuff but also their prices, in their Melbourne shop they have a normal EK2 for over 250$.......... I dont have to mention other prices either...

Cheers, Les.

Comment

Might seem a bit moot now but I said I'd post the pics so I will.
                      Here are the pics from the back of the catalogue:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The pics and write up look very impressive, if I had not found this forum, read Dietrichs KC book and had a spare $12000 plus I most likely would have keenly bid on it..
                            Regards
                            Steiner63

Comment

Originally posted by Steiner63 View Post
                              The pics and write up look very impressive, if I had not found this forum, read Dietrichs KC book and had a spare $12000 plus I most likely would have keenly bid on it..
                              Regards
                              Steiner63
                              Ditto, but considering i've never had anywhere near $12,000 spare in my life, there wasn't much danger of that

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X