Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1939 EK 1st class

hi guys,

could someone ID the maker of this cross,its sat in my collection many years now.
    it could do with the silver rim being cleaned up to shine again.

the pin bar has a 4 stamped on it.
    i was told that the core of these rusted when exposed to salt water...ie;on u boat,patrol boats...etc(they had the core replaced)

has mine lost it black due to this or just old age????

regards
    matthew
    Attached Files

1939 Ek

heres the pin set up with maker mark just about showing
    Attached Files

Comment

Your EK was manufactured by Steinhauer & Luck (S&L for short). The core is iron and will rust if exposed to moisture. Doesn't have to be salt water. The paint is a barrier to the water contact on the iron. Once that leaves, the core will rust if exposed to the wrong combination of atmospheric elements.

Comment

If it is a Steinhauer & Lück at all, it will be from a postwar manufacturing. This cross was not manufactured before May 1945.

Peter

Comment

I don't know why, but I have no good feeling to this EK I.

Regards

Daniel
          Regards
          Daniel

Search:
          !!! all awards with [L/15] mark !!!
          Otto Schickle
          All early 57er pieces

Comment

Hello there,

Not genuine.

William Kramer
            Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

If it is a real Wartime cross? Do not clean it! Curious to know what Peter, Daniel and William see that would make them think it is post war? Is it the poor looking beading, In example the crosshatch?
              I am anctious to learn?
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by WEISNER View Post
                If it is a real Wartime cross? Do not clean it! Curious to know what Peter, Daniel and William see that would make them think it is post war? Is it the poor looking beading, In example the crosshatch?
                I am anctious to learn?
                Kevin
                There are many reasons to why the cross is not original:
                - The uneven ribbs in the frame.
                - The scorched reverse plate.
                - The solder splatter around the hinge and needle hook.
                - The unsymetrical needle.
                - The lack of finish.

Peter

Comment

1939 Ek

- The lack of finish.
                  the unsymetrical needle is due to the fact the loop is not holding it tight anymore,it has wore loose,to leave the uneven look,it will sit in correct position. I noticed on several crosses on this tread that also have this problem.

the lack of finish?.....does that mean any item that is not mint must therefore be a fake?we see ground dug items with no core at all!!!!

im interested in the opinions that confirm or deny fakes differ from 1 item to the next,an unsymetrical pin on 1 is okay...then on another its a fake
                  im also interested in the meaning of"uneven ribbs in the frame".....this item was brought way before the days of internet experts at our finger tips,it was picked due to a maker stamp,correct style pin,sharp detail to swastika,all this was took into account before purchase was made.

Comment

Thanks Peter! The poor solder job should have been a dead giveaway to me besides the frame beading.
                    Thanks for taking the time to answer my query.
                    Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by brownshirts View Post
                      - The lack of finish.
                      the unsymetrical needle is due to the fact the loop is not holding it tight anymore,it has wore loose,to leave the uneven look,it will sit in correct position. I noticed on several crosses on this tread that also have this problem.

the lack of finish?.....does that mean any item that is not mint must therefore be a fake?we see ground dug items with no core at all!!!!

im interested in the opinions that confirm or deny fakes differ from 1 item to the next,an unsymetrical pin on 1 is okay...then on another its a fake
                      im also interested in the meaning of"uneven ribbs in the frame".....this item was brought way before the days of internet experts at our finger tips,it was picked due to a maker stamp,correct style pin,sharp detail to swastika,all this was took into account before purchase was made.
                      Mathew
                      I purchased my first Iron Cross 25 years ago before there were color photos in the books. It is only through reading and listening that i slowly learned, something i am still doing.

Unsymetrical means that the shape of the left and right side of the needle is different to each other.
                      Uneven ribbs ((((( on the frame means that some appears very worn in random places and in a way that do not fit with normal wear.
                      Lack of finish means just that. There is none. This piece is marked "4" which is St&L. This company (St&L) is known for very fine and strong finishes (frosting and polish) on their crosses which yours do not have.

Peter

Comment

1939 Ek

peter,

i take note of your details regarding the iron cross....medals are not my field in collection,i was given my great grandfathers 1914 iron cross and a beautiful medal bar from both wars....it was these that got me hooked into the ww2 german items......as years go on you tend to build up knowledge of items you purchase,where in the early years if it was from a dealer you like to think their selling 100% okay item(this is where these forum sites are fantastic)....second opinions can be obtained before purchase is made,be it a private or dealer.

many thanks once again
                        regards
                        mathew

Comment

Yes , a bad cross with a few things that indicate that , the flat surface 4 in the box ??
                          ... and as mentioned some strange features are ok on other crosses , ....
                          Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Wiking View Post
                            If it is a Steinhauer & Lück at all, it will be from a postwar manufacturing. This cross was not manufactured before May 1945.

Peter
                            Why do you say it has to be post-war?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                              Why do you say it has to be post-war?
                              Postwar means after the war. After 8 of May 1945.

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X