Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased EK II how rare ?

Hello There,

Just wanted to know how rare are the Cased versions of the EK II are ? Also how much they go for , makers Etc.

Thanks

Grant

I got these a few years ago. I don't think I paid more than $125 -- $140 for them....

George
    George

Comment

Hi,

IMO, cased 1939 EK2s are not common at all. The cases are also well reproduced, similar to George's upper example but with red ribbon in the upper section of the lid rather than white as in George's example (they are openly sold as repros on one of the re-enactor/repro websites). Watch out for repro cases like this married with genuine crosses. IMO, the lower example of George's is probably a safer bet. I have always regretted selling a matching Alois Rettenmaier L/59 makred paper/cardboard LDO case and matching 16 stamped cross. Good luck with your hunt.

Regards
      Mike K
      Regards
      Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

I believe the upper case in George's photo is for earlier 1914 Iron Crosses. I have only gotten 2 1939 cased 2nd Class 1939 Iron Crosses out of my ads, and they are almost exactly like Oak Leaves cases from the outside. The medal sits in a raised and countoured fitting and the entire base lifts out so the ribbon can be mounted and laid under the base, like the honor roll clasps. In my opinion, they are exceptionally rare.

I have gotten NSDAP 10 year medals in the lower case of George's photos. I believe these LDO cases are somewhat generic.
        Bob Hritz
        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Hello ,

Thanks for the replies George , Mike and Bob . I have seen one with the box the same as the lower picture George put up for me ,
          any ideas on a price ?

Cheers

Grant

Comment

To BOB Hritz,

Hello,

could you or anyone of you, put a picture of a maker marked 16 ek2?

rEGARDS
            cARLOS

Comment

Here you go.
              Attached Files
              George

Comment

Reverse.
                Attached Files
                George

Comment

Maker mark.
                  Attached Files
                  George

Comment

Thank you George,
                    it seems you have every variation of EK2. I was looking at a new EK" I recently got. THe ring is with a maker mark, but It is not very clear as it is in incuse relief and when they marked the ring, while stamping it they broke it a little, so that the mark is not clear enough. Could you please post a 15 marked(I think my cross could be a 15's..low trapezoid swaz, more rounded crners as the 16...)
                    thanks in advance
                    Carlos

Comment

I don't have them all, but I have the ones you want!

Here's the "15."
                      Attached Files
                      George

Comment

Reverse.
                        Attached Files
                        George

Comment

Maker mark.
                          Attached Files
                          George

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz
                            I believe the upper case in George's photo is for earlier 1914 Iron Crosses. I have only gotten 2 1939 cased 2nd Class 1939 Iron Crosses out of my ads, and they are almost exactly like Oak Leaves cases from the outside. The medal sits in a raised and countoured fitting and the entire base lifts out so the ribbon can be mounted and laid under the base, like the honor roll clasps. In my opinion, they are exceptionally rare.

I have gotten NSDAP 10 year medals in the lower case of George's photos. I believe these LDO cases are somewhat generic.
                            Bob Hritz

Hi Bob,
                            I have not seen a picture of this case in any of the publications I have on EK's and have only got your description, but I think I may have the type of case you are on about. Unfortunately, I am in the forces and unable to post at this time, but I will endeavour to post a pic of the case in due course if there is enough interest. How much would a 2nd Class and this type of case be worth?

TVM
                            Graham

Comment

Some of these cases are more desirable and 'rare' than others, the maker isn't really worth it's salts unless the box is maker marked.

The more rare version of the EK 2 case is the smaller version of the RK case. There then are variations on that theme which include the more seen than the recess (RK type) ribbon attached to the lid lining etc

In regards to the 'Ldo' style boxes, it depends on the inner base material, outer covering and any Ldo markings.......personally in my opinon the 'older style' fraktur Ldo logo is more rare as such and desirable that goes on the outside of the lid, compared to the more commonly encounterd rectangle framed Ldo in block latin that is on the inner lid.

You also get these cardboard sorts, unmarked with no Ldo on them, and also all versions come either 'bare' on the underside of the base or with an attributed award maker name on a paper covering.

Prices vary, and are in a silly market......so expect to pay silly money. The thing is there's a hype about these, and to be honest are they rare ??? They are available, they just sell so quickly.

Kr

Marcus

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X