Deutsche Cross from downed Fockewulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsche Cross from downed Fockewulf

A friend of mine found remainings of downed Fockewulf 189 Rama. He was lucky enough to find much damaged Deutsche Kreutz remainings belonging apparently to one of the crew members. I was wondering if it would be anyhow possible to identify the owner.
    The plane was belonging either to 11/12 or 12/12 NaGr.
    It was downed in July 44 in South-Eastern outskirts of Warsaw.
    According to local witnesses the crew survived but was shortly cought by Soviet troops and killed.
    Any help appreciated.
    Regards
    Al

wow, what a story... some pictures would be nice.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Steinar View Post
      wow, what a story... some pictures would be nice.

thanks
      Indeed pic's will be great , but this thread will beter be moved to the collectors community forum IMO .

Comment

Here it goes..

We would very much appreciate identifying the crew member who owned this DK. I guess it shouldn't be that difficult as there weren't probably that many DK awarded members in these 2 staffeln shot down in july 44.

Kind regards and thanks for any help
        Al

Comment

wow, really impresive! I hope that you find the owner of this DKiG

Comment

Is it possible to clean this cross? is it strong enough... ?

can we see a picture of the backside please?

Comment

Can you please post a photo of the reverse of the cross also? Very interesting find! Your friend was very fortunate to have found this, and hopefully there will be more to find.

Robert

Comment

can you show us more pics of the "DKiG" ?

Thx

Comment

I guess we need to wait untill I get more pictures.
                  I haven't seen the cross myself. But as far as I know the back plate was made of aluminium and hardly anything of it remained ( rather typical for dug DK with alu backplate).
                  Anybody has got an idea who was an owner?
                  Regards
                  Al

Comment

Hopefully some information can be found on the owner of this cross. It makes for one hell of a story. It is really great that you are searching for the owner and keeping history alive. Good Luck.....

Comment

DO NOT CLEAN THIS CROSS! Perhaps the Gang over at LEMB (Luftwaffe Experten Message Board) can help you narrow down the search for your pilot? Link below...
                      http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/forums/
                      You will have to join the board, However it's free to do so, and many Experten on Luftwaffe oriented information can be found there!
                      And... As asked by Robert? Can we see a clear photo of the rear of the find?
                      Kevin
                      Last edited by WEISNER; 06-11-2008, 11:37 PM.

Comment

will the earth corrode away the aluminium backplate? I though aluminium was strong...look at the old planes they rescue from the sea, am I wrong?

Comment

To Me it would be like removing DNA from a crime scene! Or like cleaning the patina from an EK.....
                          For the most part I myself would leave pretty much as found, We all have our opinions though.
                          Kevin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X