Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKiG - German Cross in Gold - Zimmermann

Hi guys

I just got this beautyful DKiG today. I think it's OK but I'm NOT an expert.

Thus I naturally have to ask you guys here what you think of the cross.

Opinions appreciated - thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OU812; 05-15-2008, 06:05 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

its a nice original zimmerman dkig.

Comment

absolutely original, and in excellent condition, congrats

Comment

Is it the heavy version?

Markus

Comment

Thanks guys !!!

Originally posted by schulzem View Post
                  Is it the heavy version?

Markus
                  Yes Markus - it's the heavy version.

Comment

Yes, I thought so. Very nice and hard to find. You see much more light ones around.

Markus

Comment

I know

Actually I bought this DKiG because I sold my old DKiG which I got from the widow of a veteran

I was hoping the owner of my old light DKiG would trade with a heavier version in a better condition...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Not to cast any doubts on this cross - it is very nice indeed, but did not the heavy '20' also have the die flaw in the star burst? My files show the flaw on the heavies also.

Or did the flaw 'transition' in as the die breakdown occur? Anyone?

Robert
                        Last edited by robert pierce; 05-15-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hi all,

I'd like to share some knowledge I gained on the Zimmermann DK's from Tom Hansen. I was ignorant to the fact that there ARE some originals which lack the typical flaw in the sunburst. Please accept my apology for casting any doubts on this piece you offered for discussion. Here are some comments from Tom, which are very enlightening:

"The heavy version and the light version have the flaw on the sunburst. There are a few odd pieces of the light and heavy that have no flaw there at all. I believe that George Stimson on WAF has one. The flawing in the date is progressive, with increasing degree of flawing from heavy to light. The flaw on the sunburst does not progress. The dotted version, as it has a completely different wreath and sunburst, has neither of these flaws."

Again, from Tom:

"The vast majority of the Zimmermans have the flaw as well as most of the Kleins, as it appears as though all the wreaths and most of the sunbursts were supplied by Zimmerman to Klein. Why not the other way around? Because the heavy pieces predate the light pieces and there are no heavy Kleins, only later, light DKiGs. A piece without the flaw is odd, but there have been perfectly good examples shown that actually lack the flaw. Again, ask George Stimson on WAF to post his, as that is the one that comes to mind. So there is an exception to the rule. However, this is uncommon and so the lack of flaw on the sunburst is a cause for concern in the presence of other factors. Simply the lack of a flaw on a cross with good wreath, rivets, hinge, catch, and pin is no big deal at all."

Robert

Comment

Hi

Please excuse my ignorance and my rusty English.

But what is this "flaw in the starburst / sunbursts" ?

And are there ANY doubts about this cross AT ALL ???

Thanks
                            Jesper

Comment

This cross is perfect. The flaw, which is usually present at 10:00 on the sunburst, is absent on this cross. And, that's fine. The other features are in harmony with Zimmermann.

Here is the flaw that is usually present...

Robert
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 9 users online. 0 members and 9 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X