S&L brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S&L brothers

These 2 S&Ls are from what I have been told, of early production.
    I think its AMAZING that these brothers are so different because of the heavy patina... Hope you like them
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last
        Attached Files

Comment

EK2's

Very nice!

Paint looks different on those two. I like the one with the Patina the most.

Jeroen

Comment

yes, very different paint. The cross with the patina is incredible.

Comment

Nice job id'ing these two. The patina really does make them present differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian S View Post
                Nice job id'ing these two. The patina really does make them present differently.
                The minty cross is marked as 4, the other i suspected to be a '4' and got it confirmed here on the forum some months ago.

I would like to know why the paint is so different

Comment

Time Line :

Hi Xerox_

Two very nice S&L :
                  At this point I would like give some answers and some corrections as to production . You have 2 different frame dies and probably 2 core dies as well .
                  As to time line - these 2 crosses are made far apart , about 2 years apart !!!
                  None are painted , and truely painted S&L crosses are only right at wars end .
                  The one on the right a 1940 made cross , skiny siver ring , wide left arm bead step and different bottom left bead junction . If you look at your post #2 at the top left inside corner you will see nicely the difference on the beading .
                  The early production which your right one represents was very labor intensive and very slow hand finishing work . The production demand was high , so .... like yours , which is actually a great example ... it has a modified finishing process . NO bead frosting . The reason was the frame metal , being coin silver it was only high polished and clear laquered . At this stage the acid paste would have been applied - to create the white frosting - as this was not done to this one . The discoloration is a chemical reaction of the silver and laquere breaking down by the suns UV light . Keep them covered !!!
                  Well in your case it is about as dark as it could get already now .
                  The S&L on the left has a zink core from looks of it , ... and a nickel plated frame the has been polished and acid - dipped . Has the later thick ring as well .
                  If the rings were stamped they would have different style '4's mm's as well .
                  Something I should note here : First frame die does not have that severe die cracking like the 2nd frame dies has . Pic 3 shows this starting already on the new crisp 2nd die - right arm .

Cheers, Douglas

Comment

Douglas 5:

Thanks for all the information about these crosses. It shows how much us collectors must, or atleast should learn
                    Quite interesting.

Thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas 5 View Post
                      Hi Xerox_

None are painted , and truely painted S&L crosses are only right at wars end .
                      Cheers, Douglas
                      They weren't painted?

Comment

Brian :
                        Painted only the cores on theses ones , ...........yes , should have made reference to that .
                        Only the late war crosses had painted frames to 'imitate' the frosting .

Douglas

Comment

As to the core ; The core paint is different .
                          Early paint is rough , full of fine particles or thick lumpy .
                          The one on the left has fine smooth paint .
                          Douglas

Comment

Here a nice comparison of the 2 types of S&L frames and cores .
                            Robert Pierce provided the crisp new full 2nd type S&L EK2 for this comparison .
                            Both from fresh new dies . The core differ by the early - right- side 'slit-eye 9s and left 9s with a small flat area in the 9s ; and the different top on the 3 !
                            Douglas
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X