Help w/2 crosses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/2 crosses

I picked these up recently from the same gentleman who has sold me quite a bit over the past few months. The vast majority of the items he sold me were the real deal but there were some fakes in the mix. I believe this is common to all of us. Anyway, here are the two latest medals that I picked up from him and I want the expert opinions as to what they are and whether or not they are real- approximate value would also help.

The first is, I believe, an Iron Cross First Class. Here are the measurements that I took with a micrometer. Width- 43.87mm, Height- 43.91, Height including the ring- 49.39mm. There are no hallmarks anywhere on the body of the medal, but there is a hallmark stamped on the larger ring of 122. The material that makes up the outer ring appears to be silver and has what I consider to be the proper patina to it.

The second medal looks like the Imperial version of the War Merit Cross, what class I don't know. It measures thusly. Width- 37.65mm, Height- 37.72mm, Height including ring- 43.02mm. There is a hallmark on the back of a Gothic letter G and the number 12.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Eric

The EK2 with mm122 on the ring was made by J. Stahl, Strausburg. The other cross is actually an "Ehrenkreuz für frontkämpfer", which is the World War I honor cross. The crossed swords indicates that it was awarded to a combatant ("frontkämpfer" = "front fighter"). It was awarded to all German World War I veterans, and is the only Imperial award instituted during the Third Reich era.

Comment

I might make mention, preachere, that the iron cross is a second class.

Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen! Any idea as to the maker of the second medal, or is the G 12 not a makers mark?

Regards,
        Eric

Comment

Originally posted by preachere View Post
          Thank you, gentlemen! Any idea as to the maker of the second medal, or is the G 12 not a makers mark?

Regards,
          Eric
          G12 is unknown at this time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X