Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DKiG with a little secret

Dear All,

Just want t share a nice find here; a recently acquired Deschler made DKiG with recepients info scratched into the reverse. Both the seller and I had missed this detail at the time of the deal.

Looking at the piece at home I noticed a number that could only be a Feldpost Nr., looking closely I also discovered writing above the numbers. The numbers were relatively easy made out to be 02881, the writing was tougher. I had to clean the surface very carefuly before I saw. Dr. K??? and Obltn.

At this very forum Adrian Stevenson identified the Field Post Number as being that of 14. Kompanie Grenadier-Regiment 209:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=284588

Thanks again, Ade!

With that info I did some topical research on www and came up with a Dr. Rolf Knoop, Oberleutnant, 14./Inf.Rgt. 209; DKiG on 12.09.1942. So this had to be my guy. The research turned out to be even more interesting as I stumbled across another Rolf Knoop Dr. med. dent., Major and CO of I./GrenRgt 377 and ... a Knight's Cross recepient!

Now the challenge was to find out if they are one and the same person. Again, thanks to WAF this mission was accomplished:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=284685

Thanks Harmel!

So, not knowingly I got a beautiful early Deschler made DKiG identified to an RKT!

Just wanted to share!

Best regards,

Albert

And here it is:
    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse:
      Attached Files

Comment

Reverse with pin open:
        Attached Files

Comment

wow. thats a great surprise. I'm so jealous

Comment

And a close up of the scratched in info. The camera brings out much more detail than one can see in reality. Apparently the FP # was scratched in twice as the first attempt was to light; one can't even see it with the naked eye. And now the name, Dr. Knoop, is as clear as could be!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Albert; 04-20-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Yes !

This is what the hobby is all about....and no amount of $ could capture the buzzzz that I'm sure you felt at tracking this one down.

Congratualtions !

Chris

(looking for early K & Q RK)

Comment

Thanks Chris,

EXACTLY

Comment

I am really pleased for you

You cannot beat items like this.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Congratulations Albert, on this beautiful, historical DK

Comment

A really nice piece!

Comment

Great DKiG!

But I'll ask the obvious question....how the heck could you miss that, unless you (and I mean "you" in the general, anybody sense of the word) didn't even look at the back???

best
                        Hank
                        Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                        ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Thanks again!

Hank, it is "obvious" now with the back being a bit cleaned, the photos taken, magnified and posted. The camera sometimes shows more than one can see with the naked eye. Why the seller, or anyone before him, did not see it... I can't answer.

As for my part, well, as I said, I missed it during the first look, but noticed the numbers when I examined the piece at home. At that time I still did not notice the name and rank. Those showed up when I started examining the area with a magnifying glass and cleaning the numbers. Now, the "second" number is something I still don't see... the camera brings that one out.

BR,
                          Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                            Thanks again!

Hank, it is "obvious" now with the back being a bit cleaned, the photos taken, magnified and posted. The camera sometimes shows more than one can see with the naked eye. Why the seller, or anyone before him, did not see it... I can't answer.

As for my part, well, as I said, I missed it during the first look, but noticed the numbers when I examined the piece at home. At that time I still did not notice the name and rank. Those showed up when I started examining the area with a magnifying glass and cleaning the numbers. Now, the "second" number is something I still don't see... the camera brings that one out.

BR,
                            Albert
                            Nothing wrong with that! I'm sure if it had all been noticed ahead of time, there would have been some extra cost involved!

best
                            Hank
                            Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                            ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

here is your man albert^^
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X