Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown Maker Spange on e-stand

Hi all,

I have three examples of the 1st Class Unknown Maker Spange, and this example on the e-stand just has too many areas that raise red flags with me. The finish for one is wrong. I see areas that look almost cast, lacking details of an original. I've circled these. I'll post an original for comparison to illustrate.

I'd be curious of the weight. Mine are all right at 9.95 grams.

Robert
    Attached Files

original for comparison...
    Attached Files

Comment

more...
      Attached Files

Comment

The pin on the e-stand example is beveled. Not a big deal, but none of my three, or any other example I have seen is beveled...

Bubbling on edge looks like evidence of casting...
        Attached Files

Comment

This might be a shadow, but it also looks like a recess for the catch - something I don't see on originals...
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree it could just be the lighting in the photo throwing off the finish on the e-stand example. But, here's the finish on a mint example, white frosted...
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Robert,

the light of the shot could be the responsible for some of your doubts

yours it's an early sample, mine it's a latter sample prior to May 1945

could you tell me Robert if you need another tipe of picture?

Comment

This is the expertise of authenticity by Craig Gottieb
                Attached Files

Comment

Are we saying that this maker had two dies for this same badge, and if so, this is the first I have heard of it? I see too many differences in the details in two pieces posted to ignore it.

Perhaps some photos, if you will, of the areas above and below on the wreath would be helpful.

Robert

Comment

This photo looks much better, different than the photo you provided - looks more like mine.??

Robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, Craig's photo shows the detailing much better. Perhaps the lighting in your original photos was throwing things off a bit. Forgive me for hijacking your sales thread. I don't make a habit of doing this unless I see something questionable. But from what I can see in the COA photo I feel comfortable with this piece now.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                        Yes, Craig's photo shows the detailing much better. Perhaps the lighting in your original photos was throwing things off a bit. Forgive me for hijacking your sales thread. I don't make a habit of doing this unless I see something questionable. But from what I can see in the COA photo I feel comfortable with this piece now.

Robert
                        another picture of the spange...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X